1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky plus custom install q

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dak, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Am so fed up with Telewest that I have decided to switch to sky+.

I have problems in that sky tell me that I want a non-standard install and so they will have to 'work out a fee'.

What I need to do is run the cable about 18 feet (through an internal wall and down the back of the kitchen cupboards). It will then go out a hole in the back wall (which is about 15 feet up outside and creates further problems for sky). Not quite sure where a box will need to go outside but it also needs to be very discrete as I am in a North London conservation area and am not meant to have a dish. I have looked at the disguised sky dishes that are available but due to the cost am going to try and get away with it.

I have been trying to work out how to do this cheaply / easily or by using another supplier. I don't mind running the cable inside myself but do not have a drill that would go through the external wall. Not sure if I can get a dish from somewhere and fit it myself but this verges on the edges of my ability - and I would not know which direction to point it.

Can anyone suggest a way to get around the problems / company to use / source of products to diy please?
    Thanks
    Dak

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Best thing to do is check your yellow pages for SKY authorised installers/dealers who are also CAI approved. They can get you the "free" digibox deal and would take the time and trouble to make a damn good job of the installation. At the very least get some quotes from them as well as directly from SKY, you might find that no matter what trouble you have with TW it's too expensive to switch to SKY.

As you have found out the "cheap" install deals only cover pretty basic installations since SKY installers are not allowed to work over 30 feet or on rooftops plus to protect them from claims of property damage drilling through wood/cavity walls etc is a no no.
    If you could lay the cable etc in preperation and the dish location is accesible then you could possibly get away with a standard install. The cable from the dish goes straight into your home and then connects to the digibox, there is no junction box/splitter (Like cable companies use) so you only need to hide the dish:)