Sky Plus Cabling Question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by B17NNS, Sep 18, 2005.

1. B17NNS

B17NNS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am currently having an extension built that will house my new AV set up and when finished I will be having Sky+ installed.

We are about to start first fix wiring and I would like to hide the cabling in the walls. What cable do I need to use for Sky+? Are there any options that will give me better quality?

Thanks in advance

Matt

PS I will also be putting cable in for analogue/digital TV and FM/DAB radio so recommendations on these would be apprecaited also.

2. cmorrison

cmorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm in the same boat and would like to know the best method of having sky in most rooms.

cheers :thumbsup:

3. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CT100 or it's equivalent is more than adequate for runs of less than 50m.Just remember that you will need two lines for Sky+, and to leave plenty of excess cable for the installer to fix to the dish.

4. B17NNS

B17NNS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So 4 runs of CT100 then?

2 for Sky plus (will this work with Sky HD when it comes on line - would like to future proof as best as I can.

1 for digital/analogue TV

1 for FM/DAB

This stuff ok? http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=10633&ts=20709

Am I right in thinking wall sockets are a bad idea?

5. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Providing it's double screened it will be fine. Wall plates are OK but it's always better without.

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    For futureproofing you might consider a Loft Box. Good explanation here:

http://www.satcure.com/tech/loftbox.htm

It helps minimise the number of cables and gives plenty of options. The system DOES use wall plates but it obviously works OK.

But bear in mind that any kind of RF distribution will only give a relatively poor quality picture and MONO audio. You might like to install some CAT5 cables as well. They can be used with special interfaces to pipe good quality video and stereo audio (even DD5.1) to all rooms.

To be honest, it's hard to futureproof. When we redecorated I added more coax cables and even a spare phone cable and it still wasn't enough!

A rule of thumb is to install twice as many cables as you think you'll need. You might end up with Sky HD and an OCTO LNB. You might need more phone connections for broadband etc. You might want CAT5. You might decide to fit a security camera system. And ... worst of all ... your wife might decide to move the furniture so everything is in the wrong place!

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    wouldnt installing trunking and leaving a cord be better,then you can change cables as required and you are not stuck with what you have got,and if it ever goes wrong would be easier to change.