Answered Sky plus box some channels not receiving signal

worz

Hi All,

My old sky plus box seems to have lost a few channels. When you go to them you get the 'no satellite signal being received' error.
Also the weather seems to affect the picture worse than ever now. quite often when I look at the signal, one of them will be 'no signal'
Can I fix this myself by buying a new Lnb or something, or does it require sky to visit. Trying to avoid the sky charge.

Many thanks

larkone

Could be a failed cable, water ingress is the usual problem. Changing the cable is low cost and relatively easy assuming you have the skills, otherwise get a satellite installer in to do it.

TJT1

More likely to be larkone's diagnosis than an LNB fault. And Sky LNBs only come with one size collar.
Don't have a Sky box, but if you can see the sig strengths of both channels, swap the cables at the box and see if the low signal swaps tuners.
If if it does, then the fault is unlikely to be in the box.
If you can get at it, swap the cables at the LNB (leaving the ends at the box swapped). If the symptoms again swap, then the problem is with the coax.
If you understand what I mean, try it and report back.

jonoro

LNBs come in many collar sizes but for Sky typically 37mm but 40mm have also been used on "Sky dishes". O best to chck.
My experinces have been of failed LNBs (plastic cover over feedhorn gone brittle and cracked allowing water in).

Visual inspection of LNB snd connectors may provide a clue.

worz

Thanks for the advice all.
Looking tonight both inputs have signal around 60% and quality at 40 and 60.
It is a clear warm night here.
I have all channels, checked the ones that I notice go normally.
Is it worth swapping cables around at this point?
I could rewire but it isn't that easy due to a false wall.

TJT1

If both channels are at the same or similar signal strength then, although still possible, it's unlikely to be the coax. No point in swapping them.
Could be the dish alignment. If you can get at it easily, slightly flex the dish L/R/U/D and look for and improvement in sig strength/quality (Go for best quality).
This is quite difficult to do without a meter at the dish. But what you have to do is flex it a bit then hold it in that position until the readings on the box have settled down.
An el-cheapo sat meter at the dish will give you a pretty good idea of whether it's off or not though.
As you say that you have the 'missing' channels at the moment the LNB is obviously working so there is little point in changing it at this stage (£££), until you have checked the dish alignment if you can get at it (£0 ).

worz

I can get to the dish pretty easily. So will give it a go over the weekend.
Thanks again, will update on results.

jonoro

Could also be the skew of the LNB, this particularly afffects the signal quality.
But clamp has to be loosened to rotate the LNB.
Look up the skew angle on www.dishfinder.com using 28.2E for astra sky satellites and your location. Then vsual check on LNB. Looking towards the dish from LNB, the LNB should be rotated clockwise by the gound skew angle.

TJT1

Agreed, but it seems unlikely that the skew will have altered since installation due to the fixing that you mention above. Unless of course the LNB has come lose.

worz

After a small time spent up the ladder with a spanner i now have 80/90% strength and quality on both receivers. It must have dropped slightly over the years.
Thanks all.

TJT1

There you go. Cost £0.:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom