sky plus box not working!

My Sky+ box has gone on strike. When I try to use any of the + functions get a message "A sky+ error has occurred. Press Select to restart or press Backup to continue without Sky+ functionality". I tried both the Restart option and Stevenage Neils method. Nothing works. Tried Neils option several times last night. When the green play light came on I pressed Select. The play light did not rotate. Instead it flashed and the box never reset itself. Is my drive cooked or is there another option?

Check post #26 and let us know.

Check all the posts on Power supply failure and "bulging capacitors".

Please can any one help ive a thompson box with the above problem tried the system reset metioned above to no avail.
Please help:)

Did charlie110285 get his box fixed? my box has just developed the same problem:(
can anyone help?missus is going balistic:eek:
nitwit

:clap:thanks !!! Neil !! Amazing , I had same standby problem and fixed it !! My hubby was v . Impressed with me !!!! X muchus love !!! Xxxsnd thanks xx
I've had my sky plus box for about 3 1/2 years and had no problems at all until yesterday. It has power and the light is on at the front but it won't come off standby. I can hear the hard drive turning then it seems to stop and give a couple of little squeeks and it sits there for about 10 seconds before repeating it all over again. When the hard drive is turning you can use the remote and the box lights up at the front but it still stays on stand by, if you try to use the remote either while it is "squeeking" or in the dead time inbetween it doesn't light up. I haven't yet 'phoned sky as I know that they will just ant to send someone out at a cost of £65 to me and I see no reason why I should pay that for someone to tell the box is broken!! I did all their trouble shooting stuff off their site although it wasn't much use and has made no difference. It is a Thompson DSI821OCS? That's the number off the bottom so guess that is the model???

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or what I could try?:lease: I know I can buy another box for less than sky would rip me off (was looking at a Pace TDS470N) but fixing this one would be even cheaper still.....:smashin:

Amstrad DRX280

No spare HDD, still less of a clue what I would do with it!

Like the primitive, I have an Amstrad DRX280 which is just over a year old, no spare HDD and still less of a clue what I would do with it! I have tried the reset procedure detailed by Stevenage Neil (post #2) a few times with different results, none of which fixed the problem. HELP!

Unfortunately, there's a limited number of things you can try in order to fix a faulty Digibox. Firstly, you can check all external connections, try a different Digibox in your house and you can try your Digibox at a friend's house. This should tell you whether your Digibox is actually faulty.

If it is faulty, you can reset settings to "factory defaults" in the Installer menu, reboot it, perform a Planner Update and erase the Hard-Drive (= reset procedure)..

If none of that helps, then, unless you have some technical knowledge, that's as far as you go. Send/take it for repair or get it replaced. There is no point in asking for more help here because the above is all you can do.

If you do have some technical ability then you can perhaps open it up, check for bulging capacitors, check for bad connections and remove and test the HDD.

Last edited:
Over the last couple of days I have persisted with the reset procedure detailed by Stevenage Neil (post #2) getting results slightly different to those in the post. The "play ring" did not rotate but flashed quickly for a while. Then the remote control did not work but the some buttons (e.g. tv guide) on the box worked. Yet another reset and everything started to work!!! Thank you, Neil!

Anyone help??? Thomson sky box won't turn on?!?! Red stand-by button is flickering.. Tried all the tricks on this brill forum,but still no joy!! Do I have to give sky more money for a new one??really hope not!! Someone must be able to stop the sky money making machine!!! Help!!:lease:

Welcome to AVF.
Tell Sky you have a receiver that doesn't work so can't use your subscription and if they don't give you a replacement you'll have to cancel your subscription.

Agreed, and there are many posts and threads on the forum telling you how to fix it or get it fixed.

You're welcome, and it's Martin's knowledge. :thumbsup:

Well caught Michael - Martin's out, of it.
:laugh:

If you don't mind losing any recordings you could try this:

Unplug the Sky box at the mains
Press the left and right navigation buttons on the front of the box whilst plugging into the mains again. Do NOT release the buttons until the green Play light comes on ~ 30secs.
Press Select. The play light will then rotate clockwise for about three minutes whilst the box resets itself. The box will go into Standby.
Leave for 2-3 minutes whilst the hard drive reformats and then proceed as normal.

Neil

Hi Neil
We were experiencing problems with our sky plus box. Recorded programs were freezing, box used to turn itself off whilst recording. Hopefully problem now solved after following your solution. Many thanks. disgruntled boyfriend now happy again.

If you don't mind losing any recordings you could try this:

Unplug the Sky box at the mains
Press the left and right navigation buttons on the front of the box whilst plugging into the mains again. Do NOT release the buttons until the green Play light comes on ~ 30secs.
Press Select. The play light will then rotate clockwise for about three minutes whilst the box resets itself. The box will go into Standby.
Leave for 2-3 minutes whilst the hard drive reformats and then proceed as normal.

Neil

I've just tried this and can't get it to work. When they say the front of the box, do they literally mean the buttons on the front, i.e. not the buttons on the top? It's just that I wouldn't call them navigation buttons, but rwd/fwd. The keypad on the top has left/right navigation buttons.

Either way, I've tried holding both, for more than 30 seconds, and nothing happens. :confused:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom