Sky + plus advice for numpty

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mobily, May 18, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I am moving house in the not too distant future and I plan to get sky+ as soon as possible after moving. However I have a few questions and would be grateful if anyone can help me out. :thumbsup:

1) Do sky provide the necessary cabling or do you need to provide it yourself? Plus if they provide cable is it decent quality such as CT100?

2) Is there a choice of boxes that you can have or is there just one overall box?

3) Can you record programmes onto video or dvd after you have recorded them onto the hard drive?

Any other help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

James :)

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    1. Sky provide the cable - not sure about the quality but I've had no problems.

2. There are Pace and Amstrad boxes - if you get eveything directly through Sky it's likely you'll get an Amstrad. If you go to an independant installer, you might be able to get a Pace. Sky+ 160 boxes are made AFAIK, only by Thomson.

3. Yes.

HTH

John

3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The cable they supply should always be sky approved by the CAI (see www.cai.org.uk) and of CT100 type quality and should have a reference number on it relating to the certificate number it was issued when it became approved.

Chris

4. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears that most new customers are getting Pace V2's from Sky. I certainly did fairly recently. I heard a rumour that they've stopped providing Amstrads.

5. Black20VT

Black20VT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They installed an Amstrad for me, 3 weeks ago today.

Which is better, the Amstrad of the Pace V2?

6. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Amstrad box for about 3 weeks and had no end of trouble that required me to switch it off and on at the mains, things like missing channels, recordings failing, lock ups...etc.

Contacted Sky to complain (after repeated fault reports and reboots) and kinda suggested that the Pace would sort things for me. Must be one of the times that things go right as they sent an engineer round a couple of days later with a new PACE box. Not had any trouble since.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If the posts on these forums are anything to go by, the Pace is far more reliable than the Amstrad.

John

8. Black20VT

Black20VT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, that seems to be the case for me too.

In the time we've had the Amstrad, we've had nothing but problems. Failed recordings, machine locking up, machine switching off etc etc.

They said next time they'd arrange an engineer, as I've completed the system reset (unplug etc) twice now and formatted the hard drive. Do you think I should give them a call and request a Pace box? Would they do that, or just provide me with what they have on the van?

9. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to SKY last night about SKY+ and how long it takes to have it installed (they say about a week from booking). I asked about PACE/AMSTRAD boxes and the probelms and he said that they have LOADS of Pace boxes at the mo as they are about to update the software on the Amstrads and so don't want to sell any more until then. He said the current load of Pace boxes will prob be around for at least another month as they still have to test the new software for the Amstrad boxes. Thye are apparantly aware of problems with the Amstard boxes.