1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky plus a bargain?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mart.stokes, Aug 31, 2001.

1. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just realised that it is a bargain compared to recordable DVD as long as; 1) you only timeshift TV and don't archive and 2) You don't want anything recorded off ITV or other sources.

£350 plus £10 a month! It looks a steal compared to £1000+ for a DVD recorder.

Am I mad?

Probably!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It is a lot cheaper and ITV will be on SKYdigital by the end of the year but the two products are totally different and you can't really compare them. In a couple of years DVD recorders will hopefully be more mainstream but I expect a much longer take up period compared to the success of DVD players.<br />I've ordered SKY+ but I wouldn't be surprised if I add some sort of dvd recorder when they hit the same price bracket as a good vcr.

3. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello all!<br />I can't honestly see the attraction in recordable DVD...what are you supposed to record???? I only ever use my video for time shifting programmes & for playing videos for the kids who don't care too much about the picture resolution!<br />Cheers, Paul.

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't personaly bother to record stuff .

it's garanteed that it will be on again .

i hav'nt even used a video in about two years (the kids have one each in there rooms for watching cartoons and there other vids)

i don't realy see the point in having a recording format better than video anyway . just look at the pic quality of digi tv it's no better than video quality half the time anyway . having a super quality recordable format aint going to make the pic look any better

the only realy big thing it has going for it in my book is the DD output but i am going to wait and see how much DD is braudcast first and when . by the time there is any on sky they will probably be giving the boxes away instead of the boxes they do now to cut down on production costs

5. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bargain at £300 + £10 a month! You guys must be nuts. Personally I would like it as a piece of kit (of course!) but the price is really taking the p***! <br />I really thought nobody would pay this price. I would expect sky plus to fall flat on it's face until they drop the subsription to at least a fiver and the set top box to £100 for existing customers and even thats alot of money to have basically just another video recorder. I would rather spend that on a nice S-VHS machine instead. Anyone else agree?

6. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick Drew, I can in fact confirm that I am mad. In response to some of the other, very valid, points: I already own an s-vhs recorder and the picture is superb, I record via s-video from a Grundig digibox but the convenience that Sky+ offers is not there. I do like to timeshift a lot and don't think that my viewing habits should dictate my lifestyle. There was nothing more annoying than missing the first few minutes of the last series of Voayger and knowing that I had to wait the rest of the hour before I could rewind the tape!

I admit that Sky+ is not in direct competition with a DVD recorder but given MY requirements there is no difference (in fact Sky+ has the dual tuner advantage).

Although Sky+ does not have the fuzzy logic of Tivo it has some fantastic functionality. In my ideal Sky+ world I would spend 15 minutes at the start of the week and just blitz the telly listings setting it up to record anything I may have a passing interest in knowing that when I come to the telly at some point during the following nights there SHOULD be something I want to watch stored.

It's a massive rip-off, but what a convenience!