Sky Player is being discontinued!

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just logged on to my WMC and in to Sky Player to be told it is being discontinued when Sky Go launches!

***!?!?

Typical. I have just ordered all the parts for a new media PC so I could move my Acer Revo R3700 for this very reason i.e. sky player! I hope there is something similar to replace it as I'm too tight to pay £10 for multi-room and wouldn't be able to hook up a telephone cable either.

Typical. I have just ordered all the parts for a new media PC so I could move my Acer Revo R3700 for this very reason i.e. sky player! I hope there is something similar to replace it as I'm too tight to pay £10 for multi-room and wouldn't be able to hook up a telephone cable either.

AIUI Sky Go will allow two devices to view if you have a current Sky subscription.

It is being rolled out on iOS (Android as well I think), with more channels available on your PC or Laptop. It will also be on XBox 360 - but they appear to be retiring the integration in 7MC.

Going to complain to them later this is a joke , took ages to get skyplayer in 7mc and now they take it away .

Going to complain to them later this is a joke , took ages to get skyplayer in 7mc and now they take it away .

I guess they will know from usage stats how popular it has been. If it hasn't been a success, they've probably decided to shift the focus elsewhere.

Loads of us here love 7MC, but I'm not convinced it has ever reached a mainstream audience (and the development team for Media Center have apparently been moved to the Windows Embedded bit of MS), probably because more and more people use laptops not desktops, and Media Center on a Laptop doesn't make as much sense.

It's probably one of the reasons there was never an iPlayer for Media Center (before the BBC Trust ruled the BBC shouldn't do bespoke versions unless they had a very good reason)

So what is the opinion on Sky Go? I'm not at home so haven't looked but a mate of mine said it was a bit poo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom