SKY+ playback 'no satellite signal'

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rogueelement, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rogueelement

rogueelement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had sky plus installed (Amstrad). The engineer forced a s/w update on installation - I assume it's all up to date then.

My problem is this:
    Whenever I wish to playback a recording I get the 'no satellite signal is being received' error. On checking, both feeds have high strength and quality and signal lock. All channels are available to view.

A power cycle resolves this, but it seems a bit much to have to pull the power cord each time I want to watch something.

Any similar experiences, fixes?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It sounds like the hard disk is failing, so call in the engineers, as it will still be under warranty. If you have good signal strengths on both LNB's, then it's almost certainly a hard disk fault.

3. achilles8

achilles8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rogueelement: exactly the same thing happened to my amstrad sky+ box today. Did you have to call an engineer out to fix it? (today was the first time it happened to me)

cheers

4. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has happened to me twice now, box is only two weeks old - will call sky again today

5. cowlid

cowlid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phoned sky when this happened to our box - has happened each time the sky box has been switched onto standby at night - the next day, can't play any of our saved programs.

Sky said - go into installers menu, switch off the power to the LNBs, switch off at the mains and remove the viewing card, switch back on at mains, switch the LNBs power back on, wait a few seconds, and when asked, re-insert the viewing card.

Works for us, but then the next day, the same thing happens ...

Keep meaning to call sky to find out a more permanent solution!

Dave

6. rogueelement

rogueelement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't yet called Sky, years working in IT have entrenched in me a 'switch it off, switch it back on again mentality' and it doesn't happen all the time...I rather suspect that Sky will do little more than advise a reboot anyway.
    I don't suspect this to be a HDD problem as suggested, I would expect far more trouble in not being able to playback at all if the hard drive were at fault.

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    have you had problems with recording's that appear to have recorded ok only to find they wont play back. To expand on that , you can select the recorded show but when you press select to start the play back nothing happens .

this has happened to me a few times, once the other day a previous recording exactly like this showed up as failed a few days , it was like the box had changed it's mind.

had the box changed today, this appears to have been a nightmare for their eng (see my thread)

8. achilles8

achilles8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since turning the power on and off actualy enables one to play the recorded program, I would think it is a software fault rather than a problem with the hard disk.

Now I am stuck with the problem of whether I should go ahead and install a new and bigger hard disk as I intended thereby voiding all chance of sky sorting out any software problem.

9. rogueelement

rogueelement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have any problems playing back recorded material once I've rebooted the box. I agree that it seems like a software problem.

Why are these systems always so flaky, it's not exactly a difficult operation to perform is it?

Achilles8 - Have you calle dout an engineer for this? If so, any improvement?

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My Sky+ box isn't "flaky". The problem you describe is a classic symptom of a faulty hard drive. If your box is under warranty, ask Sky to get an engineer in to fix it. What's the problem in that ?

P.S. Looking at the posts in the Digital Spy Forums it seems that there are a number of reliability issues with Amstrad boxes.

11. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And with Pace boxes too to be fair.

Judging from the posts at Digital Spy, both manufacturer's products seem to suffer from design flaws :(

Getting a good one (whether it be Amstrad or Pace) appears to be a bit of a lottery.....

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I know which one I'd rather have :) Not that you get much choice these days.....