1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TonyITA, Jun 4, 2004.

1. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sky deal on their branded 42" plasma. has anyone bought it and what is it like? Is it worth the money?

2. diabolik

diabolik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search, there was a funny thread on this a few weeks back
    :laugh:

3. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very funny indeed

4. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the general feeling on these boards is to avoid the Sky (Daewoo) Plasma as much as possible. It is overpriced to say the least - I would suggest looking at the Panasonic 6 series/PE30 models :)

5. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, i will take a look at the panasonic. Good luck with Milan next season!!

6. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but my name refers to a manufacturer of mountain bike frame ;)

7. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the deal inlcudes 42" plasma, 300W surround sound, alphason stand, 4 alphason speaker stands, floor/mountable side tv speakers, all with 3 year warranty for £3.5K over 3 years 0% finance..... is this not a good deal??

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all cheap re-branded stuff with a premium price. You can get better quality for the same money elsewhere. The only 'good' bit is 3 years 0% finance, if that's something you want to take advantage of. Personally I never buy on finance 0% or not.

9. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elvis, thank you very much :cool:

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The plasma at any price is dubious, the daewoo is prone to banding, solarisation and all other plasma vices to a greater degree than most. For 3.5k you can get a PWD6 panny, yamaha 540 amp (500w total) 6 speaker surround, a 540DVD, all the cables, a stand for the kit, wall mount for the plasma, and a warranty, all in a well known high st chain, beginning with R. You could have it all installed from expensive folks like me for not a fat lot more, believe me it's not a good deal.

11. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, get that feel that SKY isn't the limit and there's better deals out there. Thanks for the advice.

12. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what boards would I need to connection if I went for the Panny 42PWD6, I have sky box, dvd player, xbox and possible connection of PC.. the SKY Plasma came complete with multiple connections source built-in.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    do a search on Panasonic Connections because there's a million and one ways of doing it, all with relative costs and benefits. Simplest approach is a scart board and scart switch box but you may decide to use one of the JS Technology converters and you may intend on running the DVD progressive scan so requiring a component board. There is already a PC socket installed. Again do a search and find the answer closest relating to your setup!!! There's plenty to choose from...

14. diabolik

diabolik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Y board with my panasonic which includes a component, svideo and composite video input. I run my ntl box through a JS technology rgb to vga converter into the vga input on the plasma. I use the component input for my dvd player and svideo for my vcr. I suppose you could use the svideo for your xbox.

15. TonyITA

TonyITA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the picture quality like going through a JS Tech rgb to vga convertor?

16. diabolik

diabolik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much better than the scart board apparently but Ive never seen them compared in person. The picture Ive got is pretty good but I consider the limiting factor to be the quality of the source marerial, so good broadcasts look great and old stuff like Uk gold looks a bit cr@p.