1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kirkdavis, Feb 20, 2004.

1. kirkdavis

kirkdavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, all..... :hiya: has anyone seen the deal Sky are doing at the moment - sky badged plasma screen..... are they any good? :hiya:

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    :hiya:

If you do a search you`ll see plenty of threads about the Sky plasma`s :)

P.S Welcome to the forums :)

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the final verdict was that it is overpriced for what you got. If you have that much money burning a hole in your pocket and you're interested in a plasma then there are plenty of better deals to be had.

4. kirkdavis

kirkdavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, thought as much; but the 40 months interest free credit is a big pull.............

5. kirkdavis

kirkdavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep' spose your right ( I know you are really) - but will the 42" plasma beat my Sony 28" CRT?

6. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had the Sky plasma package at x-mas & sent it back in january.....nuff said!!
    I've now got the Hitachi 42PD3000 & think it is ALOT better than Sky plasma.
    Would recommend Hit plasma to anyone

Cheers
    Cag

7. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or Panny generation 6's!! The PW6 is dirt cheap at the moment ( www.nexnix.co.uk ) and it's regarded as one of the best low-def plasma's out there!

8. kirkdavis

kirkdavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you send it back? What where the main probs?

9. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    kirkdavis
    I really like my plasma, but to answer your question you need to evaluate your priorities.
    Basically no large plasma will match never mind beat the picture quality of a 28" TV.

But if you are willing to live with the compromises, (sometimes minor), that this involves to get a larger picture then examine this issue further (checkout earlier CRT vs Plasma threads).

Basically the cheaper plasmas are not as bright, and have some contrast issues. The better plasmas (including Panasonic) have contrast / brightness that matches CRT.

But you well never have a picture that is quite as sharp as 28" with todays current broadcast standard in the UK.
    Don't let me put you off, I really could not go back to CRT !

Steve

10. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a sky plasma, and cancelled it on 20th december.

THey have still not come to collect it seeing as I have phoned them 5 times.

However, I came to the conclusion that you dont get much for your money, considering the Hitachi 42PD3000 was available for a grand cheaper for a better telly.

All the interest free credit in the world wouldnt have amde up for that difference in quality/price.

Saying that, its quite a nice telly, and comes with everything you need to start watching, but the price is the main factor bringing it down.

I would rate it at £2200 in value.

11. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sent it back as the PQ was v.poor, especially wiyh Sky TV. Pictures were 'blotchy' & the likes of football were unwatchable!!
    There was also a loud buzzing noise.
    I may have had a faulty one but was enough to put me off & thats why I got the Hitachi which I think is great.
    main plus point about Sky deal is the interest free but I got a good deal on a credit card wher the interest I will pay over 3 years will be a minimum

Cheers
    Cag