Sky+ Planner "Deleted" section

G-MANN

Standard Member
Reaction score
You know how when you "delete" programs from your Sky Planner, you can still get them back by scrolling to the Deleted section and restoring them, or you can permanently delete them (like emptying the recycle bin on a computer)

Well, my question is, how long can you keep stuff under Deleted and is there a space limit? Because it seems like a way of having extra storage without using up the memory space bar on the Planner.

They stay until the machine needs space for a recording that you have set, and then they're over-written.
The percentage indicator isn't affected, and that means very little anyway.

So when does it need space? Why does the percentage indicator mean very little? What percentage of the memory does it really represent?

When the total size of the files on it, including those in the "deleted" column in the "planner", exceeds the usable capacity of the drive, and after that I assume that items not marked Keep would be over-written.
As the indicator moves only 1% at a time and the drive can be up to 2tB in capacity, the figures don't mean much.

Last edited:
As the indicator moves only 1% at a time and the drive can be up to 2tB in capacity, the figures don't mean much.

You mean it's a rough estimate? What percentage of the whole drive does 100% of the percentage bar represent? I think the box we have is a standard sized one, I know there's ones with larger memories.

Yes, without a decimal point it can be only a rough estimate, and the usable capacity is the nominal size of the drive, less the amount that Sky reserve for their use, and of course less the usual amount that always reduces the nominal size.
Nominal capacities of Sky drives vary between 300 and 2000gB, and the reserve between 140 and 500gB.

No programme files are ever deleted on the HDD in Sky boxes. All that is "deleted" are entries in the file allocation table that points to the location on the HDD where the programme was recorded to. Deleting a programme initially puts a "flag" on the entry in the allocation table and then permanently deleting it removes the entry from the table. In essence this feature has merely added another step in the mechanism of how space is re-used on the HDD when Disk Space Management is set to "Automatic" - when the recorded programmes reach the maximum allowed in that combination of Sky box and HDD fitted then space is reclaimed by deleting programmes oldest first in each of the various categories in this order - deleted, viewed and finally recorded items that are not marked as keep.

Sorry, what does that mean?

Sky reserve an amount for downloading Anytime/Showcase programmes to. This depends on the model of Sky box and is 140 GB, 250 GB or 500 GB. Sky HD+ boxes have been fitted with five different size disks as standard - 300 GB, 320 GB, 500 GB, 1.5 TB and 2 TB.

Last edited:
No programme files are ever deleted on the HDD in Sky boxes. All that is "deleted" are entries in the file allocation table that points to the location on the HDD where the programme was recorded to. Deleting a programme initially puts a "flag" on the entry in the allocation table and then permanently deleting it removes the entry from the table.

What do you mean files are never deleted? It can't have infinite space.

Do you know how the Recycle Bin works in your computer?

It's the same principle (as described by DM2 above).

The File Allocation Table indicates whether a file can be over-written, but the file itself is not actually deleted.

As a certain Mr Glitter found to his cost... :rolleyes:

To all intents and purposes you disc drive is permanently 100% full.

When something new has to be recorded those file/programmes tagged as "deleted" will be overwritten first; if no files have been tagged as "deleted" then the oldest file, not tagged as "Keep" will be overwritten, and so on.............

OK, I understand. So, if the Planner is nearly full, is the space left in deleted folder nearly gone? Or is there is a minimum amount of space set aside for it?

Last edited:
That's the point - there isn't a "deleted folder".
As S N says, the drive is always full of files, and their names are indexed.
They have "tags" to indicate the date of recording, and whether they're classed as "delete" or "normal" or "keep".
When a recording is to be made space is made for it by over-writing files in order as dm2 described.

Found out recently how to reinstate deleted programmes.
Also how to completely delete deleted programmes.
Pressed the "yellow" delete button to delete programmes and ended up for a very long time deleting programmes I had deleted over a year ago.
Where have all these "deletes" been stored - are they on my Sky box or within the Sky system.
??????

Where have all these "deletes" been stored - are they on my Sky box or within the Sky system.
??????

Carefully read Posts#8.and #13.

How to reinstate deleted programmes and how to delete deleted ones is a recent addition to the system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom