Sky picture settles to the left when on...Advice please.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by peterp, Oct 6, 2004.

1. peterp

peterp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    i have a problem with my standard Sky digibox,when I switch it on from standby,the whole picture settles slightly to the left of the screen.
    is this normal?
    I cannot change my TV settings-I've investigated this and does not allow me to do so!
    I see to lose about 2 inches.Are there any 'hidden' Sky settings I can use to shift the picture to the right a bit..?
    Thanks a lot
    Peter

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Some televisions do not handle RGB input very well, they shift the image to the left, something to do with the timing of the signal.
    Now that can be corrected IF you can access the TV service/engineering menu, not to be considered if you do not know what you are doing as you can totally screw up the telly!

If it bothers you too much and you don't want to mess with the TV itself you may find using PAL which doesn't cause left shift an option but obviously a slightly softer image.

3. peterp

peterp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for the advice so far,is there any way I can improve the picture quality on PAL seting..?

Cheers
    Peter.

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My television does the same but only shifts by 1/4" on a 32" widescreen so is handled by overscan and is only noticable on something like News 24 when they show expanded 4:3 images.

Have you tries S-video as a compromise? it should be a lot better than composite anyway.

5. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This used to happen on my old Sony 32" widescreen.

Sadly (or so I thought) it broke one day and had to be repaired, when it came back the picture geometry was well out, so an engineer came out and ran the service menu to straighten the picture up. While there he kindly looked at the RGB left shift problem, and with a few button pressed changed a value for the horizontal overscan on RGB signals, placing the picture in the centre, voila !