1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ picture question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Sulley75, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Sulley75

Sulley75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hi all,

We got Sky+ a few weeks ago, love it. We also got a new tv yesterday, toshiba pictureframe 2 or 3, 32". When watching itv or a similar channel through sky box, sometimes (especially when there are bright colours, like a concert) its like u can see squares, like the picture is made up of squares. Yet when i turn to normal tv, they dont apear.

Is this normal with sky, or does it sound like a prob with the tv????

If its sky, can it be fixed if i call them, or is it the standard reception?

everything else seems ok, xbox, dvd and whatever.

i have rgb leadws throughout.

all help apreciated.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The compression used on digital channels can at times be less than optimal, ITV are one of the poorest broadcasters in this regard especially when a lot of their primetime content is fast/colourful/intense which requires more bandwidth which isn't there.
    Normal analogue terrestrial isn't a compressed source which is why it doesn't suffer from the same problems as digital but of course there is no 16:9 on terrestrial and of course a very limited selection of channels due to the huge capacity those channels require compared to digital.

As you are seeing this effect is not uniform and some digital channels look better than others and the higher picture quality sources such as the X-box and DVD outperform digital broadcasts very easily.
    Your new television like many of the new breed has technology that really benefits from having the best possible source material, problems which you see now would most likely be masked/invisible using an older television.

3. Sulley75

Sulley75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thank you for that. That is possibly the most informative and helpful reply i have ever seen/had on any forum!! So thats loads.

At least now i know it isnt out tv. I also replaced the scart lead that came with sky with a better one, which has improved things also.

Thanks for allthe help.

GAz.