SKY+ Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rbecking, Oct 10, 2003.

1. rbecking

rbecking
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use to have NTL cable and always thought the picture quality was poor, I read on these forums that sky was a lot better so I decided to get sky+ installed. I've had it a week now and I must say the picture quality is no better and sometimes worst. I am currently watching the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony on ITV1 and the picture quality is terrible, it is pixelating into little squares all the time. Is this just a problem with my box and should I call sky out to it? My signal strength/quality are both at about 70%.

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I changed from NTL to SKY & would say that the picture quality improved marginally. The picture is definately better on the movie channels.

My signal strength is more like 90% though.

Ben.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Picture quality certainly varies a LOT from channel to channel. Channel 5 is very good. The Sky Premier movie channels are pretty good too. BBC News 24, Performance and so on are dreadful. (Low bitrates, I guess).

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's quite startling the difference when watching "Inside the Actors Studio" on both Performance and Biography, there is certainly a huge difference considering the source material would be more or less the same.
    Unfortunatley too many channels look to save money by purchasing far too little transponder capacity from SES or Eutelsat and then in some cases using a poorly implemented stat muxing system to spread that limited capacity even further.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The signal quality is measured for the default transponder. This doesn't necessarily guarantee that it's Ok for other satellites in the cluster. The usual problem is "LNB droop". Read the technical explanation on this page.

Fman

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Don't worry,ITV is the same on all platforms with sport,as it has a too low a bitrate for them.

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I thought the picture quality was fantastic when watching the highlights on Freeview ITV2.

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes it was considering,but if you watch the crowd in the background,when the camera is following a player,the crowd breaks up badly.

The footy on ITV is miles worse than BBC1.

9. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I saw some minor pixelization and mosquito noise, but it wasn't at all distracting. I'm watching on a 44" Sony with MPEG noise reduction that really works well on reducing mosquito noise.

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Freeview is generally considered to have significantly superior picture quality compared to cable or Sky.

11. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's all down to bitrates of the channels.
    Now I have a Home Cinema PC with a PINNACLE digi-sat card I card record BBC progs direct to hard disk and afterwards can see the bitrates in the File Information using VirtualDubMod programme
    Have seen bitrates from low 1000's to mid 3000's but not higher than this.
    One episode of "The Office" (BBC2) in 16:9 was around 1.2 GB as MPG and a 4:3 movie (1½ hrs) from TCM between 2.5 - 3.5 GB

Played back on PC using WinDVD (to TV via S-vid cable) they look fine... just not quite as sharp as the live broadcast (or Sky+ recording) but this can be due to the TV re-scaling the image and the S-video link from the PC (not as sharp as RGB, direct from Sky+ to TV).
    But when viewed frame by frame on the PC in VirtualDubMod you can clearly see the MPEG encoding artefacts caused by the low bitrates.

Last night we watched (live) "Henry VIII" on ITV1 (don't normally watch ITV) and it was probably the lousiest pcture I ever saw all the time I've had Sky digital (since initial launch)...
    bitrate muct have been miniscule

Some movie channels are sometimes a bit dodgy, UK gold (UK-anything) and sometimes so bad that you don't want to record them...
    most consistent for me is still BBC1 / 2 and Ch 4 / 5 are usually OK

Steve