1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky picture quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by minijay, Sep 1, 2003.

1. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

got my screen up and running love everybit of it...

but just recently have been noticing the picture quality from sky is crap. only on a few channels mind. the movies seem fine.

question is, is there a way of improving the image from sky.

doesnt happen all the time but when you are used to the clear pics and you suddenly get a naff one it stands out so bad.

problem is usually low quality and what looks like the colours seperate. happens on fast scenes more....

cheers guys
    jay

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what plasma is it mate?

3. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate

i got the philips 42pf9955

lovely screen no probs what so ever on the pc and r2 dvds.

r1 dvds leave a flicker on the screen but that looks like its my region hack chip causing that.

but recently been noticing the sky prob to. sometimes get a faint bar scroll down wards. rare.

jay

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry not sure what you can do with the philips to make the picture better.

make sure you have the best cables you afford and short runs as you can to cut down interferance,

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's like that, and that's the way it is :) The more you do to get a better picture, the more you notice how bad the source image is :)

6. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tuner box is about 5 meters away its the longest cable they supplied and they do make a 10 meter version.

as for the dvd and sky box they are connected directly from underneath using a cable no more that 1 - 1.5 meters.

admitadly the dvd is using a gold plated cable sky isnt suppose i could swap them to see if there is a difference.

what are your views on using an s-video lead as apposed to the rgb scart.

worth trying or more hassle than its worth

cheers for your help
    jay

7. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers cybersoga

thanks for the to the point answer. dont notice it really just every now and again out the corner of my eye.

only had it for a week so i suppose its something i will get use to.

cheers anyway
    jay

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    One thing I would do is check that the sky box is set to output RGB (not the default "PAL" composite setting) and the scart socket it's plugged into on the tuner box is RGB compatible and setup to input RGB. If you notice running dots along strait edges then you'r probably viewing a composite picture, in which case, using s-video would give you a better picture.

9. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cybersoga

ive got rgb outputting on my sky box changed it to pal and didnt really make alot of diference a little not alot....

as far as i know my ebox picks up the signal and deals with it automatically. i.e dont seem to have a menu to change the rgb input settings. im told ports 1 and 2 are rgb compatable

so figure it is running like this already. maybe wrong will trawl through the manuals again to see if i missed a menu.

my screen is progressive scan would this be a part of the problem....

jay

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If it doesn't make any difference when the sky box is switched from PAL to RGB, then one or more of these is applicable...

* Your display displays composite video so well it looks indistinguishable between RGB (unlikely)
    * The scart cable is plugged into the AUX/VCR (second) scart socket on the sky box rather than the TV out. The AUX socket won't output RGB no matter what the box is set to.
    * The scart socket it's plugged into on the display box isn't actually RGB input capable
    * The scart socket it's plugged into on the display box isn't switched to accept RGB
    * The scart cable isn't fully wired, and has the RGB wires missing

You can get round all this headache by using an s-video cable, I doubt you would be able to see any difference in PQ comparing RGB scart and s-video.

11. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers geez

i will check all these out.

im using the cable supplied with the sky box

it is in the tv socket

im told ports 1 and 2 are rgb compatible.

i have no menu that allows me to change the settings of the port on the display

cant find my s-video lead so will have to hunt for that. will also try my dvd scart lead in the sky socket see if it makes a difference

thanks for the advise.
    noticed a bar that seems to scroll up. seems to be there more now than before.

jay:confused: