Sky Picture quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pwoody, Nov 29, 2002.

1. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed the picture quality has dropped from SKY over the past few weeks with more digital artifacts visible on screen. Call me suspicious but seemed to coincide with the expansion of interactive services and the revamp of SKY text. Has anyone else noticed this? I checked the signal strength via the menus and it has not changed.
    Oh and what happened to the promised widescreen?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Not noticed any noticeable drop in picture quality on the channels I watch on SKY D via my SKY+ or PACE 2200.
    Wanna give some examples of the channels/programs that you have seen drop in quality and is it only SKY branded channels or across the whole platform.

Widescreen was never promised, just a collection of unofficial reports and rumours it seems and the reasons given for no W/S last October were again only from unofficial sources.
    I was taken in but perhaps it demonstrates how a believeable post in a forum and seemingly confirmed on a "news" site can spread and take up a life of it's own.
    Then again it could all be true and SKY are indeed still fine tuning the system for a w/s service:)

3. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No particular channel stands out but I watch E4 and BBC a fair bit. SKY news is never anything but perfect which I gather is their flagship program and I believe has a higher bit rate or bandwidth. The problem is subtle so maybe I am being too picky.
    Widescreen on SKY! I should have know it would be to good to be true.
    As you have SKY+, how does Dolby Digital sound compare with DVD.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Sorry, don't subscribe to the movie channels.

5. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ITV1 was dreadful last night (Saturday). My other half was watching popstars and there was major artifacting on the camera pans, flashing lights etc. Looked truly awful :-(

Keep meaning to e-mail ITV about it...

Matthew

6. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    News reports on any channel via sky digital look good, but there is very little motion with someone sat behind a desk just talking.
    With little motion the compression is very efficient and hence the picture looks good.

However watch a football match on ITV 1 or 2 and the quality is awful compared to good old analogue, whilst football on a sky channel is better than the ITV channels. Maybe the reason is that sky put more effort into making their channels look good, afterall we couldn't get ITV on sky for years!!:eek:

I really don't think this is a bandwidth issue, as remember hardware mpeg2 compression is generally inferior to a software coding solution, although it wouldn't be real time would it?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The reason ITV wasn't on SKY digital from the beginning was totally down to ITV who didn't want to support a rival to their OnDigital/ITVdigital platform. They only came on board after pressure from advertisers who believed once someone was watching SKY they were less likely to switch back to analogue for a single channel while looking for something to watch.
    The problem with ITV and CH4 to a lesser degree is that they refuse to purchase more transponder capacity(Bandwidth) and they use statistical multiplexing on their channels. This system takes all the available bandwidth and shares it dynamically over the asigned channels based on the theory that when one channel needs a lot of bandwidth for sport another one would be showing a studio shot which needs less.
    This fails because for network purposes all the ITV regions are showing the SAME THING at the SAME TIME so when a footy match is on every channel there isn't any spare bandwidth to boost the picture quality and the result is that every channel suffers.

The problem is easily solved by increasing the transponder capacity that ITV buys/rents from the satellite owners but ITV still consider the SKY platform to be a major rival and will do nothing to promote the platform. I believe that ITV still refuse to help fund the FTV smartcard service that the BBC, CH5 and Five run to allow their channels to be accessed without a SKY subscription.

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed the same thing. I've been getting a lot more picture breakup in the last week or so. It's mostly on the channels that seem to break up most easily during a rainstorm anyway, but recently I've noticed E4 has been really rough too. (along with a few others which elude me at the moment)

Since I watch Sky through my TiVo, the difference is more noticeable. Before, the picture difference wasn't noticeable. Now, I can definitely see a difference between the TiVo picture and Live TV.

I'm getting occasional sound breakup as well. I haven't checked my signal strength, though, so it might just be my dish.