1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky picture quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scottie2002, Oct 14, 2005.

1. scottie2002

scottie2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I have had the 42PV500 for a week now and overall I am chuffed to bits with it......none of the problems some of the contributers to this forum have experienced such as buzzing or image retention. However I would greatly welcome some advice or thoughts on Sky picture quality. It appears to me that the picture I get when watching channel 5 is vastly superior to some other channels. I seem to recall reading somewhere that some channels have a stronger signal than others. Is this correct? I have the Sky + box connected to the TV with a Monster Scart cable and I have the settings in the Sky receiver set to RGB. Also I have the dvd player connected via component.
    Thanks in advance.........

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The Sky channels are of varying quality - it is not a matter of signal strength, it is all about bandwidth - channel 5 seem to have spent rather more than certain other channels to offer decent bit-rates (to make up for their patchy terrestrial coverage??).

Connections / settings sound good, and glad that your PV500 seems to be a good one.

3. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I notice that Channel 5 has a better picture as well, although all the main channels, Sky Movies & sports seem very good tbh. Now not that I watch it but I recall someone on these forums suggesting that Home & Away was filmed in HD & is worth checking out to see what the picture "could" look like!
    Well I checked it out & even on my humble pw7 the picture looks 3d, I mean really gobsmacking! :smashin: still a :nono: program though :rolleyes:

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Agreed mate. Home and Away looks stunning here on a PHD8 - only viewed for quality control reasons :D

Sports seem to have variable bit-rates. The same channel can look good one day then appalling the next. Equally some look consistantly terrible.

Hi-def with decent bit-rates sorts all the football PQ problems here - roll on mainstream hi def next year.

5. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I find all 5 main channels (BBC1 + 2, ITV1, CH4 + 5) are even better on Freeview than Sky. Higher bandwith and sharper picture with less artifacts. For everything else Sky is better (News channels etc.). Was switching back and forth on Coronation Street last night - freeview was demonstrably better, and consistently so. mine is a Sony external freeview receiver on a 37 Philips Plasma.

6. scottie2002

scottie2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that some are finding that freeview is better than Sky.....I think I might have to get a connection sorted out so that I can compare them. I confess that the wife watches Home and Away and it is quite a stunning picture......shame about the content!!