1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by defsdoor, Jan 4, 2004.

1. defsdoor

defsdoor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering ditching NTL cable TV for a Sky+ box. However, before I do I would appreciate comments on the quality of the sky picture - mainly regarding compression artifacts etc.. As I have a 42" Plasma I am hestitant in case the picture is "rough" and magnified to distraction on a larger screen.

Thanks in advance

2. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I had the same question when I was thinking about buying my first plasma, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the sky+ picture I get. Most of the premium channels I would give 9/10, the smaller channels (UK Gold, most music channels etc) would get 5.5/10. ITV I find can sometimes be quite poor. On the whole I would say go for it, however I cannot comment on the differences between NTL and Sky.

Hope this helps

M

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I doubt if you'd notice a picture improvement, all the same probs are present on sky. Freeview is a bit better, you could do that as well as cable.

4. defsdoor

defsdoor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering ditching ntl because they're crap. The set top boxes rarely get updates, the channel numbers are all over the place, no interactive, the program guides often don't update etc.. etc..

I am tempted by sky+ and its pvr abilities - I am just not sure if I can live with that bloody red button consantly reappearing.

As far as the picture quality goes I guess I will have to stare closely at a friends for a while and see.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All points agreed, but it's so long since I thought of channel no's I'd forgotten about that. I have a pronto with the channels programmed to logo buttons, + redeye IR gizmo on STB. I don't find sky much more logical, just it has the program guide that actually works.

6. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've recently ditched NTL for Sky+ (don't have a plasma though - 36"CRT). Sky PQ seems to have increased significantly since I last had it. Overall very pleased and Sky+ has to be the best thing that's happened to home TV viewing for a while.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have a pace twin freeview box in my system, same thig for freeview. Not so many channels, but no subs, that works for me.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Isn't Freeview half the bandwidth of Sky digital?

Although saying that Sky varies a lot by channel. e.g. if one records Enterprise with Sky+ from both Channel 4 and Sky One, the C4 picture is crisp and detailed whereas the Sky one is blurred and artefacted; except in the ad breaks when Sky One goes back up to full bandwidth.

StooMonster

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    no, freeview is clearly better than sky.

10. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With Sky + Simply pause tv for 2 seconds press play and then you dont get the red at all while watching that channel :clap: :clap:

11. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have not tried freeview as I have SKy Digital. I have the original Pace digibox and a Pioneer 504 Plasma. I must confess to being quite confused by the slagging off of SKY/Plasma combinations. I feared the worse for SKY PQ when I got my Plasma last month but have been very pleasantly suprised to find that the PQ is fine. Yes channels vary dependant on bandwidth but most of the popular channels give me a good PQ. The only thing I can think is that may people have the smaller (40) dish whereas I have the larger (60).

5 year old digi box and LNB !! I don't need many excuses to upgrade but I really am getting a good PQ so if it aint't broke................

12. defsdoor

defsdoor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - Sky+ here I come

Cheers guys

(I get the same issues on NTL with some channels being really over compressed and therefore extremely poor quality)

13. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friends ntl picture quality to me looks blockier and less sharp. It also takes longer to switch to another channel. His screen is also smaller then my 32" crt. He has a 28" crt.

I also prefer the Sky navigation method.

Koing

14. defsdoor

defsdoor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will sorely miss the back button on the ntl remote (alternates between previous and current channel) - is there a way to do this on sky ?

15. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends where you live. i have both Freeview and Sky and the Sky picture seems better to me on many of the channels but clearly worse on some of the others.

16. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends where you live. i have both Freeview and Sky and the Sky picture seems better to me on many of the channels but clearly worse on some of the others.

17. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

18. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mate, you're so right about this. I miss this function big time!

I haven't found an alternative on Sky unfortunately.

The other thing that NTL had over SKY was the ability to get program info whilst surfing the now and next banner for other channels whilst watching something. When you press 'i' on Sky it gives you the info for the program you're watching. S**t that sounds complicated - do you know what I mean?