1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ picture quality or lack of

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jazzdog, Sep 11, 2004.

1. jazzdog

jazzdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone , regular viewer of the site for a few months now , and have received lots of useful info and ideas, my wife thinks too much and too many, what would be wrong with a 42 inch tv in the bedroom?. however thought i would take the plunge and join you all, now to my post and i,m sure lots of you are thinking not another moaner but here go's. i bit the bullet and upgraded to sky+ in april and relocated our existing box to the bedroom. sky+is a pace vers 2 , signal strength and quality are fine no problems , it records everything i ask it to, i have had no problems with fan noise nor overheating etc , what i do have a problem with is artifacts , picture trailing call it what you will ,but they are on most channels , i have searched the forums and do have a limited grasp on bitrates and compression ,and i would expect some channels to be better than others, however this is on a lot of the mainstream sky channels 106, 107etc, and all the sky sports channels , every time the scene changes or cuts away there is a noticable trailing effect on screen. i did have sky call and look at this but it was explained away as artifacts and theres nothing we can do.however after having sky digital for 4 years prior to the upgrade i know that the picture quality was not like this before , i never had a problem before on the mainstream channels. has anyone else noticed on the more popular channels that the picture quality has dipped, its not unwatchable, its just not as good as it should be or was before. even the picture from the existing box is suffering although watching on a slightly smaller tv this is not as pronounced ,28 inch as opposed to 32 inch in living room. could or can the the quad lnb have an effect on the picture quality, has anyone else felt the picture quality on sky has changed, or is it as my wife suggests just me and i should get used to it.sorry if this has been longwinded and i hope a few people have managed to get to the end of this and can find time to reply , if he has time and got to the end okay without loosing interest or falling asleep , i would be keen to see starbursts view on this. many thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply. :lease:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    :blush:

I am not in a good position to give views on PQ perception mainly because I am using hardware that has been in use for many years with no changes.
    My FTV box is 6 years old and my SKY+ is 3 years old so in those terms I haven't seen a reduction in PQ, actually I would say that SKY Sports footy looks better now than it did last season!

I am sure when I finally get my Plasma I will have a much more definitive view as I expect the PQ will suffer when viewed on a more demanding panel compared to the preety much bog standard 50hz 28" CRT and Dscaler powered LCD panel hooked up via s-video.

Other posters have said they noticed a change (sometime negative, sometimes positive) in PQ when upgrading to SKY+, this could be because the mpegII decoder, tuner etc are different makes/models than the ones in their existing digiboxes.

As you may know the more modern TV's with digital processing and 100hz scanning are more prone to artifacts/smearing and LCD/Plasmas even more so although as with all AV gear the setup is the key to everything but there is only so much you can do with less than perfect bitrate channels.

If you can accurately say that you noticed a drop in PQ after the SKY+ was installed it may be down to the differences in hardware but also maybe a signal issue. Perhaps the error correction is being heavily used and that is affecting the data the decoder has to work on.

Also remember that SKY only controls a handful of channels and the rest have total control of their bitrates. So if the BBC channels are a problem then they are the cause, same goes for ITV etc etc. Five in my opinion is by far the best non-premium Dsat channel PQ wise and should be a benchmark for comparison.

3. jazzdog

jazzdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for the reply starburst, perhaps i am being too picky, and should just adapt to the pq , or move my seat back a bit, thanks again.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you are not happy you should explore alternatives, perhaps you can prove a definite quality difference between a digibox and SKY+ when viewed via the same cables on the same screen/panel which would put your mind to rest but open up new problems on how to alter the situation.
    Maybe a different model or revision of SKY+ would perform better to your eyes, alas you can only confirm that by experimentations and swapping boxes with someone else otherwise a swap out via SKY could be permenant and you could be worse off.

Seriously though if you really are having PQ issues with SKY as bad as you say (don't doubt you for one second but it's confirming the source is the problem and not the associated hardware) then you have to consider if the service is good value.
    Are you in a position to try a DTT/Freeview source?
    Granted limited channels but could give you another broadcast digital source to compare SKY against.