1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky picture quality on my Ellie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cutes6, Apr 10, 2001.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I love my new Ellie but I am very unhappy with the picture quality from Sky broadcasts in particular.This seems to vary from programme to programme and its particularly bad on long shots in football games etc.The close up shots are brilliant.The picture is smooth enough but the clarity is not good and I wonder if anybody can help - here's my setup.
    Original Sky Pace box which outputs RGB via scart to a lekropacts converter which outputs S-Video to the projector via a high quality lead from Lektropacks.
    What confuses me is that it seems to vary in quality depending which programme I watch although the football is always poor.
    Would the latest generation of Sky boxes be any better or I have heard something about varing band width signals from Sky on different broadcasts could this be the cause.
    I'm a bit lost on this one but I do know the projector is ok as DVD produces fantastic pictures all of the time.

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This comes down to compression, as well as different SKY channels having variable quality so do the programmes.

Close-ups with invariably look better becuase there are less changes in detail pixel to pixel so therefore compression needs to work less to store a given image.

Wide-shots will always fair poorer they contain lots more pixel-pixel detail and dramatic changes in colour. Tricky to compress. Also couple this with fast pans and moving shots and you have got the worst combination, hence why football looks crummy.

Personally I'm hoping this will prove because quite frankly the adoption of digital sky has been one of the biggest consumer jokes I ever witnessed. There is absoulutley no need for the quality that is being pumped out given todays technology but hey it was a race against time to get digital tv up and running.

Personnaly I wouldn't dare look at digital TV on my projector. I don't think there is anything you are actually doing wrong, that's just the way it is.

3. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that R0ne,

I use my Ellie for all tv viewing now in the main room so I will have to put up with the quality which is obviously not what I want but have no choice.My friend has just had sky installed and the menu system is so much faster than mine I was hoping there might be some improvements in the decoding side ?I also wondered if I could get the optional input box of tricks for the Ellie (which I believe allows RGB input)would that picture be any better than S- Video ? I guess the built in line doubler the Ellie has doesn't help the situation or doesn't it make any difference.I would love to hear from other Ellie owners what solutions if any they have about sky quality

4. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cutes6,
    I agree with you and ROne that the detail on some of Sky’s programmes and OB’s can be pretty rough.
    From what I understand, the main Movie channels take priority as far as variable bandwidth is concerned. Certain other channels are on a fixed bandwidth, which produces this poor resolution where high detail/activity is going on. That’s the way it’s been described to me! - Seems plausible, but not tolerable surely, not for the price they charge!
    Perhaps someone in the know could explain whether this is true or not?

Yes, the Ellie works at its best with S-Video. There are several ways of obtaining this RGB – S-Video conversion, have a look at the following to see if any of these suite your circumstances:
    rgb to svideo convertor
    BTECH - BT941
    QUATTRO

Regards,
    Rob.

5. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Jagular,
    thanks for your reply.It amazes me that Sky are like they are particularly as most peoples TV's are getting larger and therefore these issues will become more apparent,also sport in particular football is one of their main attractions.
    Just to confirm that I have the Lekropacks converter which in my opinion is great and it disables macrovision great for "backing up " as they put it PPV films onto tape !

Jagular do you have an Ellie aswell? if so how long and what issues if any do you have with it.
    Thanks for your earlier post :rolleyes:

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: cutes6 ]

6. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Jagular,

its great to meet somebody else with one I've had mine 4 weeks is it ok to email you with my number ? There are a few questions I would like some help on - ie AKB line and convergence on different formats etc.This is just general info though because like you I think its FANTASTIC. :) :) :)

8. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cute6, I would be only too happy to help you out, but I do suggest you contact screensUK first as I've found them to be very supportive on more occasions than one.
    Rob.

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its interesting that people are generally not impressed with sky on a large screen. I was thinking of getting digital TV , not particularly for the extra channels, but for what I thought would be an improvement on picture quality over analoge terrestrial. Seems I may be just as well to stick with what I've got. Has anybody noticed an improved picture quality from analogue to digital?

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My picture is vastly better with digital than analogue even with a monster aerial, although my mate swears his analogue is better.

I think that it depends most on the quality of your analogue signal and wheter you want widescreen channels or not.

[ 27-04-2001: Message edited by: John S. ]

11. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got an Ellie and I don't really have that much problem with Sky Digital.

Mind you, I've stuck to the composite input for Sky and VCR playback, so I'm probably expecting less anyway - I've got an S-video and Composite lead coming out the back of the receiver going to the projector (the S-video being for the PS2 and the DVD player).

I'm still over the moon with my little Ellie, and it still has a huge WOW factor with everyone.

The only problem I've had is my own fault - I originally requested the screen to be installed too high and have since moved it down. Tinkering since has got the picture to just about OK (my room is not ideal in that it's a fauirly old and badly shaped room that's only just big enough). Picture is fine, bit it's not quite the right shape yet. Still working on that (if anyone from Screen's UK is reading, next time you're passing Peterborough - pop in for a beer, and I've got a few favours to ask!).

Only question I've got is that I want a DVD test disc that enables me to set everything up properly. Does one of those exist for PAL systems yet?

12. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cutes6,

Question:

What level do you have the Peaking set to?

Rob.

13. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Jagular

I have tried all 4 options and found that 4 is far too soft so its a toss up between 1 and 0 and have descided to leave it at 0.

14. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cutes6,

I'm not sure what 4 options you mean, the settings go from 0 - 7.
    Mines set at ‘7’, a good compromise for poor digital programmes; it also reduces the ghosting around objects.
    It seems soft when you first try it, but persevere with ‘7’ for a while and I think you will approve!
    Do you use the same peaking level for watching DVD’s?
    What difference did you notice between composite and S-VHS?

Rob.

15. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes Jagular you are right although I do not see any difference between 5,6 or 7 I will leave it on 7 for everything and see if I can get used to it thanks