1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Picture Issues

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by LiquidTV, Oct 21, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

I have an older model Panasonic Sky digibox in which the images sometimes freeze or I lose the signal completely. This is more noticeable when it is windy outside, so suspect it is because some high trees nearby are being blown across the path of the signal. However, it only occurs on a few channels, BBC1, ITV2 being a couple of them.

Also since changing my TV from a Sanyo 29" to a Sony 36" KV-36FS76 U the PQ is significantly worse. The PQ is rather blocky which is particuarly evident with images of water. I have fiddled with the settings changing the DRC from 100hz to 50hz which has made some improvement. Will it make a huge difference if I but an expensive scart lead or is it because the TV is so big it is showing what was already there??

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The bigger screen is just making the bad quality more noticeable. I do use an expensive (£50) scart to connect my Sky+ box to a 42" plasma but I got this as I was having ghosting problems from a standard terrestrial feed which the fully shielded scart solved so it was worth it for me but I don't remember it making much difference to the picture quality itself.

I've got an ordinary Sky box connected to a 15" LCD upstairs and a half decent scart did make a big difference in PQ.

Bad weather can cause problems with all the channels for me rather than just certain ones.

HTH

John

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would certainly consider having the alignment of the dish and LNB positioning looked at, windy conditions could cause trees to partially block the signal but it could also be a less than secure installation.

A modern TV is loaded with digital picture enhancments, these do not always perform well on digital broadcasts which for the most part are less than optimal quality. Imperfections that are hidden by older/smaller/lower tech displays become evident when viewed through a haze of digital processing. I assume viewing a DVD via the TV is a great experience, that is the difference between digital sources:(
    A better scart may improve matters in a very small way but bottom line is that many channels on Dsat (DTT and Cable as well) are just upto acceptable standards.

4. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Starburst you're absolutely right. When connected to DVD it's awesome. I'm curious though how my LCD will perform when it arrives tomorrow.

As the Sky only has one scart output, I'll have to connect to a switch box. I just hope this doesn't make the PQ any worse on either TV.

5. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    i would get a half decent scart lead, dont have to spend mega bucks but i def saw an improvement.

Also have you made sure you have your digibox to output to RGB and also your SONY Tv to take an RGB signal in say scart 1

That would make a big difference.

Just my two pence Fella....

Dal