Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky Picture is Pants!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dirk_Diggler, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Thomson Sky box (freebie when i signed up with Sky) and cannot get a decent picture out my projector from it. I have a scart to VGA adaptor but the sky picture coming from the projector just jumps about all over the place and then loses the signal. (I have a Themescene H30A) I'm assuming it's a week signal output from the sky box but am not 100% Sure. I tried a 2m VGA cable (instead of my 10m) cable and the signal was less jumpy but still jumping :confused: . Is it more than likely that it is beacause it is a cheap Sky box? It's a pity cause the only picture i get just now is composite and it's rubbish. Are there any cheapo Sky boxes out there that have component or S-Video output?

2. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone????? Is there such a thing as a scart to 3 lead RGB cable? I could connect the three RGB leads to my Component cable if this was the case.

3. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You might want to wait longer that 45mins before you start complaining that nobody has replied :nono:

Lots of people will have read your thread but not have an answer (like me). I believe that the Sky picture is quite bad to start with - my brother always comments that my Freeview picture is much better than his Sky one.

Not sure if you're having a box problem or what I'm afraid. Do you know anyone that could give you a quick lend of their box to test your cable/projector combination with another box?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Does your projector accept RGBs?

If yes you need a scart to 4 phono cable wired for Red, Green, Blue and Sync, or Scart to VGA wired the same.

If no you need to get a JS Scart-Component converter.

You are not seding it the correct sync signal by the sounds of things, what adapter are you using exactly?

5. braiden

braiden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have the Sky Thompson box, and IMHO the picture really isn't that bad none of the problems you mentioned and in fact the picture from channel 5 is really quite good especially with programs like CSI and House ect...

In case you're wondering It's connected to an infocus 4805 via a composite video cable, I dare say that if I were able to conect it through component it would be even better.

You may have a fualty box, had to have mine swapped out three times after they installed the first one. Give sky a call and see if they can send out an engineer.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    He is not getting the picture to sync.

When you say the picture is crap, is what you really mean is you can't get a picture?

7. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a picture which is broken up ie some horizontal sections of the picture are offset to the left and jerky and visa versa. :confused:

8. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It accepts Scart RGB (DVI-I via supplied scart to VGA & VGA to DVI-I adaptor). My DVD Player works fine through the same set-up. The scart output signal is spot on through set-up whereas the Sky box isn't. :confused:

9. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Sky box looks pretty good on my Screenplay 5700, connected by s-video.

From my limited knowledge I agree that you may be confusing RGB with component. But I'm not entirely sure myself.

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the earlier H30, all of the sources are connected into a switch box with the output connected to the projector using the SCART to VGA adaptor supplied with the projector.

I use a 10m VGA cable with gold connectors which if I remember cost around £40 from "Lindy".

The Sky box is a fairly old Panasonic but the picture is pretty good and I've never had any probs with it.

11. simch

simch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to experiment with your sky box settings via the picture settings menu. i messed with mine as I could not get it to run on my new infocus 5700, and after a bit fo trial and error it fired up fine. I changed scart setting to RGB (from PAL) and I think turned the scart either from off to on or vice versa I cannot recall).

Have a mess about and see if it improves.