1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Picture is Pants!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dirk_Diggler, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Thomson Sky box (freebie when i signed up with Sky) and cannot get a decent picture out my projector from it. I have a scart to VGA adaptor but the sky picture coming from the projector just jumps about all over the place and then loses the signal. (I have a Themescene H30A) I'm assuming it's a week signal output from the sky box but am not 100% Sure. I tried a 2m VGA cable (instead of my 10m) cable and the signal was less jumpy but still jumping :confused: . Is it more than likely that it is beacause it is a cheap Sky box? It's a pity cause the only picture i get just now is composite and it's rubbish. Are there any cheapo Sky boxes out there that have component or S-Video output?

2. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone????? Is there such a thing as a scart to 3 lead RGB cable? I could connect the three RGB leads to my Component cable if this was the case.

3. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You might want to wait longer that 45mins before you start complaining that nobody has replied :nono:

Lots of people will have read your thread but not have an answer (like me). I believe that the Sky picture is quite bad to start with - my brother always comments that my Freeview picture is much better than his Sky one.

Not sure if you're having a box problem or what I'm afraid. Do you know anyone that could give you a quick lend of their box to test your cable/projector combination with another box?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Does your projector accept RGBs?

If yes you need a scart to 4 phono cable wired for Red, Green, Blue and Sync, or Scart to VGA wired the same.

If no you need to get a JS Scart-Component converter.

You are not seding it the correct sync signal by the sounds of things, what adapter are you using exactly?

5. braiden

braiden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have the Sky Thompson box, and IMHO the picture really isn't that bad none of the problems you mentioned and in fact the picture from channel 5 is really quite good especially with programs like CSI and House ect...

In case you're wondering It's connected to an infocus 4805 via a composite video cable, I dare say that if I were able to conect it through component it would be even better.

You may have a fualty box, had to have mine swapped out three times after they installed the first one. Give sky a call and see if they can send out an engineer.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    He is not getting the picture to sync.

When you say the picture is crap, is what you really mean is you can't get a picture?

7. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a picture which is broken up ie some horizontal sections of the picture are offset to the left and jerky and visa versa. :confused:

8. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It accepts Scart RGB (DVI-I via supplied scart to VGA & VGA to DVI-I adaptor). My DVD Player works fine through the same set-up. The scart output signal is spot on through set-up whereas the Sky box isn't. :confused:

9. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Sky box looks pretty good on my Screenplay 5700, connected by s-video.

From my limited knowledge I agree that you may be confusing RGB with component. But I'm not entirely sure myself.

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the earlier H30, all of the sources are connected into a switch box with the output connected to the projector using the SCART to VGA adaptor supplied with the projector.

I use a 10m VGA cable with gold connectors which if I remember cost around £40 from "Lindy".

The Sky box is a fairly old Panasonic but the picture is pretty good and I've never had any probs with it.

11. simch

simch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to experiment with your sky box settings via the picture settings menu. i messed with mine as I could not get it to run on my new infocus 5700, and after a bit fo trial and error it fired up fine. I changed scart setting to RGB (from PAL) and I think turned the scart either from off to on or vice versa I cannot recall).

Have a mess about and see if it improves.