1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ picture breakup -- bogus install?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StooMonster, Apr 28, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I had Sky+ installed last week, excellent except for...

...picture breakup. Sometimes big, half the screen, and looks like a dodgy corrupted MPEG download from the internet (all blocky squares, like a Sinclair Spectrum) and others times minor breakups here and there. If you're quick enough you can pause on them, it's on both tuners, and see corrupted MPEG.

My trusty old Sony digibox didn't have any such problems.

Also noticed "signal strength" is now at < 25% whereas before it was more like 80%. The "installation engineer" said to ignore "signal strength" as it means nothing; and two different brands of digibox will report different results. He also said that LNB alignment with dish is either on and it works, or off and it doesn't work; no in-between that affects quality.

Also, installed using an additional regular low-loss satellite coax rather than the dodgy double coax; I guess because of distance between disk and box.

Is what the engineer says correct? If so, what is causing the MPEG stream breakup / corruption? Will Sky fix it?

StooMonster

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Absolute rubbish on both counts. Signal strength is very important, and bad LNB alignment will cause poor quality reception and breakup. Demand they come back immediately and don't let them leave till your signal strength and quality are above 80%.

I had endless problems with Sky pic breaking up or pixelising until I went absolutely nuts at them :mad: , and I forced the engineer to work on it till I was satisfied. My signal strength is now permanently at 100% and quality is at about 90% and guess what, even in the worst weather storms, I never get any picture breakup at all on any channel.

It's amazing how many totally incapable engineers Sky has, and to get a decent one to come to my house (free of charge I might add) it took me writing an email to the MD of Sky. His secretary called me back within the hour and had an engineer to me the next day. :D

Give em hell Stoo!! :smashin:

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    sweetmate, thank you for sharing your experience.

Since upgrade to Sky+ I've now got signal strength 20-40%, signal quality 40-60%.

Sky+ Technical Support on phone "signal strength is irrelevant, it's signal quality that matters" ... "50% quality should be fine, and you shouldn't have any pixelisation" ... "switch off box, swap LNBs".

Anyway, engineer coming out to realign LNB in three days. He won't leave until it's 100% on everything. ;)

StooMonster

4. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tis true that different brand boxes will display different levels on the strength & quality scales.
    I changed froma Mk 1 PACE box to a Panasonic box without touching the dish / cabling and the Panny showed higher scale levels.

I started getting more picture breakup at some stage and then bought a bigger dish. No probs since.

Strength is easy to get when aligning (have done all my own setups) but having reasonably high qlty is what gives you good / reliable picture.
    Can't get to good sgn.qlty without having got the strength first.

Currently running Sky+ with approx 70% strngth / 80% qlty on 1 and slightly lower on LNB input .2 and don't have any problems with this bigger dish

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Well, second installation engineer just left; and I now have new dish. Why?

Using his meter he found that signal strength and quality were 35-40%; "not good" in his words. :eek:

He replaced dish because previous installer had whacked new quad LNB on an older style mini-dish that had a longer arm. The previous installer was supposed to either cut the arm length or change the dish before installing LNB; apparently second guy does plenty of "clean up" jobs of other installers, and the first chap is one of his worst offenders. :rolleyes:

Anyway, using his meter signal strength and quality are now 75-80%; and using the Sky+ readouts it's 90-100%, i.e. almost solid grey bars. Excellent. :D

Oh, and he tested all four LNBs; which he said other chap should've done too.

StooMonster