sky+ picture break up........

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Joe Pineapples, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    .....on playback of recorded material. Just enquiring for a friend about this. He's done a full system reset a few times (as suggested by sky), which doesent seem to help the problem, and now he's thinking that changing the hard drive might do the trick (and upgrading to a larger one at the sometime). Apparently the maxtor 7200rpm range is the one to go for?. From the tiny bit of research i've done myself, it seems that some people have even used a maxtor utility to put the new HD into 'quiet mode' (i presume plugged imid the pc to do this). He could go to our local pc shop (nice and cheap), for the drive, but there seems to be some places on the net advertising a hard drive and what they describe as a needed 'security tool' to get into the box. I imagine this is a bit of a con?.

any lights shone onto that lot, appreciated

joe

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The 5400 rpm drives are better - they run cooler, quieter, and use less power, but 7200 rpm will work. Anything up to 250GB should do. You need a Torx #10 security tool (available from Maplin or RS) to open Pace boxes.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Picture break-up on playback could be becuase of reception problems when the programme was recorded which no amount of resetting or new hard disks will cure.

Has your friend conducted a controlled test by recording something (and watching it to check there are no problems at the time) and then playing it back? No point in investing in a new HD if that's not the problem in the first palce.

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    thanks for the info and tips - i'll pass these on to him.

(pretty sure it only breaks up on recorded material, but i'll double-check)