1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky picture break-up/poor sound

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Phil.LFC, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Have had Sky for over a year. Had a few problems with picture breaking up. Engineers (original fitters) came out, checked everything, even replaced LNB. Said it would be fine.
    Since then I occasionally get picture break up, especially on channels like E4, Home & Leisure... It seems worse during adverts.
    This knocks the dubbing out which is OK when watching live as turning box off, then on ,puts it right, but if I've taped it I have to watch it with voices out of sync.
    :mad:
    I've also noticed that the sound from my speakers has a very prominent background "squeak". It is not generally annoying but if you get close to the speakers you can hear it clearly. It is not heard on terrestrial broadcasts, DVD.etc...
    I know I should get the engineers back out but to be honest they didn't really seem to know what they were on about and kept trying to fob me off with poor excuses.
    I've now ordered Sky+ so I think I'll wait to see what the sound & picture are like after it's fitted.
    Has anyone else had similar problems?:confused:

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sounds like a cable/signal problem of some kind. Maybe a dodgy box but you shouldn't be getting these problems. Any trees or buildings in line of your dish?

See how you go with Sky +. You will get a new LNB, STB and at least one new cable, even if he doesn't replace the cable altogether with a shotgun type. If he leaves the old cable, you will be able to compare the signal strengths of old versus new on the box.

Good luck, Sky+ is brilliant by the way.

3. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the "squeak" is standard for all sky boxes, its down to how the sound is transmitted disagreeing with the phase discrimination used for surround sound systems. Or something like that anyway, its described in another thread somewhere in this forum.

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the info.
    I don't have any trees or building in the way so I'll make sure they install it properly this time!
    If it is installed correctly then should you not have any picture problems whatsoever?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Phil who are you using to install Sky+??? If a local company (not muppets) you could always go for a slightly larger dish as the mini dish is the smallest dish possible an 80cm circular dish could make a big difference compared to minidish!

6. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've ordered it direct via Sky's website so I don't know whether they use their own fitters or contract out.
    Whoever comes to install it I will ask them about the larger dish. If it is the "muppets" that put in my original Sky then I'll tell them in no uncertain words that I want it working properly this time!
    They were a local company, not Sky's own.
    Do Sky have their own installers anyway??

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yeah sky do it depends on the area if they can they will use their own installers but its luck of the draw.
    If i ever go for sky i will do it myself !

8. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a 40cm dish fitted when I purchased sky+.I found the pq ok but the quality signal was only at 60% level. I contacted sky and asked for a larger dish which was supplied and with a better lnb the quality signal level is now at 95% giving a cristal clear picture.And at no cost to me