1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky & Phone Lines

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by windfall, Dec 17, 2003.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hello all

Quick question - when sky install their digiboxes you have to have a phone line as we all know. Has anyone used the phone line wireless extender that are for sale in Maplin?

I will have adsl as well, does anyone know if this phone line extender works with a broadband service - the maplin web site says this works with analogue only - I thought ADSL was an analogue service am I correct in my thinking?

Prob is that my phone line is in the hallway which is fair 25ft away and in a brand new house I dont want a telephone cable trailing around the skirting board - hallway has Karndean flooring so cant hide the cable under that either! Help

Thanks and merry xmas to you all

Tony

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    OK, you cannot run ADSL on the end of the wireless extn. Also they can cause problems to the ADSL service if they are installed elsewhere on the circuit. So basically if you have ADSL I suggest you leave well alone.

HTH

3. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I was afraid someone would say that! Thanks for your help, looks like I'll have to get a feed from the outside into the house!

Has anyone had a call from sky saying that their phone line is not connected to their sky+ box at all?

Cheers

Tony

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    You will get a regular letter from sky saying the sky+ box is not connected and that you are in breach of T&C's ... I guess at some point they may block your signal ... had a similar problem for a year or so but just got a *long* extension lead and rebooted once a month so that the box made the call back home to say it was there ...

Jon

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Tonetrainer

Some good news:

As pointed out, the device at maplins (and similar ones) use the mains circuit to carry the telephone signal and can cause problems with ADSL.

There is an alternative device sold by BT (see it at their website).

It works like a DECT cordless phone. IE: a base station plugs into your telephone socket, but instead of having a cordless handset to go with it - you have a module which has a standard BT socket on it. This shouldn't cause problems with your ADSL, but it will be more expensive than the other device.

6. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

This would probably work to feed the sky box but you're still gonna need a proper connection to where the adsl modem/router is gonna be.

7. Line_Man

Line_Man
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No,
    I saw one at my aerial installer had, £100 and it uses RF to transmit instead of wires, it plugs into a plug though.

8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hiya

I checked the BT website and the only dect modem shown is as below;
    http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/871819

It says that the received/sender uses a USB port and therefore this wont plug into a sky+ box.

Simon1 do you have a product description and or number at all?

Cheers guys

Tony

9. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry, if I got you excited.

Hadn't looked myself, just passing on what I read on another forum.

Just taken a look at BT's website and I can only see the device with usb connection. You'd think they'd do one with a normal connection for sky boxes, etc. Wonder if another manufacturer makes one.

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is this something new with Sky , calling people to tell them their phone line isn't pluuged in to thier box?
    Mines not been connected to a phone line in 4 years (normal Sky not +) but was thinking about getting Sky+ .
    I ran an extension cable into my room when the Sky box was first installed then after the engineer left i disconected it.
    Will i have to run a proper , pernament cable in if i get Sky+ ? , which will be a major pain.

Cheers
    Panic

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Apparently the sky engineers want to see a permanent plug point for the digibox, owing to the issues of adding an extension in our new lounge I will plug it in from time to time and reboot as previously suggested!

At a time of broadband and satellite what the hell needs a modem?? Totally crazy!