1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky /Phone line?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Kylos, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Kylos

Kylos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey. Im thinking about getting sky put in, and noticed that it said you needed a phone line nearby.

Unfortunately we dont have a phone line by the television, but we do have an ADSL socket (for xbox live). Can the sky box be connected through this?

Also, does the sky box have to be plugged into the phone line 24/7?

Thanks, Kyle

2. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That only applies to those getting free equipment and installation.

Buy the equipment and pay for the installation yourself and the Sky digibox doesn't have to be plugged into a telephone line at all.

3. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And it costs you alot more.
    The phone socket doesn't need to be by the TV set. As long as it is within a reasonable distance the installer will run an extension.It can't be plugged into a pure ADSL line,it needs to be a standard landline with no calling restrictions on it. And yes, it does have to be plugged in 24/7 for the first 12 months, unless you decide to have a second box installed in the future, then both boxes are connected for the life of the contract.

4. Kylos

Kylos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was afraid of that..

Ill have to put a phone socket in by my television, as the nearest socket is in the next room and i just cant have an extension lead sitting around the place!

thanks guys

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    the cable for the adsl socket probably has a spare pair that a phone line could be run along, and then a box put next to it, or you could swap things around such that the adsl microfilter is at that end rather than back at the wall socket - might need an extra microfilter mind

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I read recently that SKY allow a one off £25 fee to replace the phone requirment for new subscribers, can't find the post can't even remember which forum I read it on.

However checking the T&C's it does state the max penalty for breaking the contract and repaying the interactive discount is £25, it used to be a lot more.

Worth checking if you still want to go with SKY instead of buying privately and at higher expense.

7. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will only allow this if you do not have a landline and have no intention of getting one.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Ah, that does make some sense:)

9. Tuddy

Tuddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My brother has SKY without a phone line, also a friend at work also got this deal recently. Don't know what they were charged though. Can't be a lot knowing my brother.