Sky+ phone line query (not usual query asked 1,000+ times already)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MAD ANDY, Sep 11, 2007.

1. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

I just phoned up to order Sky+ after finally giving in (I hate the dominance Sky has on TV, but I also dont want Freeview) and was told the usual gumph regards needing a phonline for 12 months etc, however I was told the reason for this is that the Sky+ Pause Live TV and Rewind Live TV etc are Interactive services which will not work if the Sky+ box is not connected to the phone. When asked why this was the case and how much bandwidth this consumed, I was told it was only to alert the Sky+ server that I wanted to pause or rewind live TV which then enabled the ability to do so (compared to me thinking it was more a case of the box did the work). The issue I have is that my landline is provided by work for DSL purposes, so I cant guarantee that I will have this for another 12 months, and also, the socket is located in one of the bedrooms, upstairs on the other side of the house, so dont want a wire cabled every where.

We WONT be having Multiroom, this is for Sky+ only.

Also, I was told the box has 80hrs recording ability, 40hrs of which is personal choice, 40hrs is Sky Anytime where Sky choose what I may like to see and record on my behalf. When asked if I could turn this feature off as I dont want someone choosing for me and instead me use the full 80hrs, I was told no. This right?

cheers

Andy

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    As far as the phone line goes - complete garbage.
    As far as the Anytime comment goes - completely true.

3. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Load of BS about the phone line needed for that. Its only need for using the interative services (which frankly you should never need to as they suck) and for ordering a film from box office.

You do have to have the phone line connected for a year though as it's in the contract. They give you plenty of warnings if you don't though. Mine was connected for about 5months (couldn't be bothered to fix the extension lead which had broke) and they only sent two letters stating I signed a contract saying that it had to be kept connected.

4. tonkie

tonkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    You can turn Anytime off but you still don't get the other 40hrs.

5. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought as much, otherwise it would need to be connected for the life of the box and not only for the 12 months initially, however thought it best to check :)

So what does Anytime do? monitor what you watch and record similar programs or something? bloody annoying that, why force recordings on you! :mad:

What do you mean by "only" - did they give up in the end? or they only sent you two before acting on them? How come you didnt reconnect it after the 1st letter?

6. Jimmo 32

Jimmo 32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sky only really police the multiroom set up,as you wont be having it ,just disconnect the phone line after the install,plenty of people have done that and had no problems.

7. alternate

alternate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will have to run a temp extension or the sky guy will not install the box. After that you can ditch it.

Anytime downloads a selection of programs but it is the same pick for everyone (unless you have HD). So even if you are not subbed to movies you end up with a lot of them.

Anytime is a bit useless but I leave it on as once in a while they have something and you don't get the space back anyway.

8. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've read this, but a few people who dont have multiroom mentioned they had still received letters from Sky warning them to reconnect, and also one guy mentioned he had £10 added to his bill for not having it connected!

I asked Sky will they supply the extension and they said yes, however I am assuming this wont be "temp" but more permanently clipped in place otherwise the installer will know I have no intention of keeping it in place.

Yeah thats what I thought ie if the space is no use to you, may as well leave it on... but then which has the priority over recording, the personal space or anytime space?

9. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I have a similar problem to this where one of the kids has accidently kicked the double plug that the Sky installer fitted to the telephone socket. I have had a couple of "warnings" come up on the TV to remind me to plug my system into a phone line but can't.
    The issue I have though is that once the plug broke I connected my router cable straight into the existing phone socket and my broadband speed shot up to almost what I am paying for. Prior to this the maximum speed I could get was about 2MB through the "double socket".... but I am now getting just over 7MB.
    I have an engineer calling round on Saturday to install Sky+. Is he likely to mess it up again???
    Rob

10. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    The Sky Digibox should be connected to your phone line via its own individual microfilter - as should every other telephone/modem in the house.