1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky phone line not connecting

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MRW, Aug 9, 2002.

1. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have had SKY about 6 months+ and ever since we had it the digibox has ahd problems connecting to the phone line.

For example, if I plug it in to the phone socket, and run the test via the sky menu screen the message says that the phone line is not connected, when it clearly is!

If I unplug the sky box from the phone line and run the test, it says that the phone line is busy!!

The phone line is definitely not busy. Also when the sky box and my telephone handset are connected to the wall socket via a 2-in-1-out adaptor, the sky digibox makes the phone line crackly.

I have had an engineer come out already and that seemed to fix the problem for a while...

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the modem?

Cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It could be the internal modem of the digibox or just the rear socket on the box that is not mating properly with the plug.

The fact that when the cable is not connected to the digibox and it gives the "line is busy" reply that points to an internal problem.
    Get in touch with SKY and tell them you want to order PPV and use the Active system but the digibox won't allow you too.

The hardware is still under warranty so at the very least you will get a free repair, with a little luck a brand new replacment.
    Do not let them take the existing box for repair without supplying a loan box or a refund for the time you can not use the service and if they permenantly replace the box make sure you get the same digibox or one better.

3. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It would be worth checking that the supplied telephone cable is ok. Unplug it from the back of the digibox and plug it in to the wall socket and see if the crackle appears, if it does and then goes away when you unplug it again the lead probably has a dodgy connection (usually a high resistance problem)

4. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

Matthew

5. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi chaps

Similar problem - My Grundig digibox in the set-up menu states that the phone line is connected but when accessing an on-line channel (must have a go at Avago - not) the green light flicks on then states that the phone cannot be connected at this time.

At the phone point end I have one of these box things from Powergen which supposedly saves you money. Is this the problem?

Normal phone calls in and out are fine.

Any ideas ?