Sky+ Phone extension advice pls...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by blackmaverick, Sep 30, 2004.

1. blackmaverick

blackmaverick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just ordered Sky+ and need to arrange to get a Phone line extension into the Lounge. I have heard you can get wireless phone extensions which i was interested in. However I have adsl on my phone line and have been told it will not work with this line even with filters. I only need the phone extension for sky and dont want to have to run an extension cable from the hallway to the living room.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are just having sky+ with no second sub you will probably get away without having it connected.

Just put a lead in while the engineer installs your box and then take it out again when he's gone.

If you are having a mirror sub then you may wish to consider having the extension wire ran around the outside of the house (assuming that's possible!)
    That's what BT did for me.

Dave

3. blackmaverick

blackmaverick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it ok to disconnect once the guy has left? I read on threads that sky can tell if you disconnect it and they write a letter asking for it to be replaced as its a 12 month agreement or something.

Does the sky+ box receive updates via the dish or the phone line?

Thx

4. Makaveli_Thadon

Makaveli_Thadon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in pretty much the same situation, I want sky+ but plugging it into a phone line is a problem.

Out of interest, how do Sky know if you unplug the phone cable?

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Sky will try to 'dial up' to the box every now and again so can tell if it's not connected to the phone line. If you're on a contract that states it must be connected, you will get a letter from them telling you to reconnect to the phone line.

HTH

John

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sky mainly get stressed out about the phone thing if you have 2 boxes. Reason being, you're paying £10 for another card which someone else could use in their house and save up to £40+, so it's mainly a security thing.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to have the phone line connected when it is installed. However, if you are going down the one box route and you have had a contract with sky for over 12months you will not need it to be connected. If it is a new contract the T&C state it must be connected to the phone line for a minimum of 12 months, however, they will not be bothered if you have one box.

With regards the external phone extension, BT charge a fortune. It was something like (iirc when I enquired in May) £160 for the first hour and £100 for every additional hour and they do not guarantee how long the work will take.

I had a similar problem, I had a phone point in the lounge but not on the middle floor where we wanted our second sky+ box. I thought BT were taking the **** so I ended up installing an external extension myself. Cost me £15 in materials and around an hour. At least I know the job was done properly too, you can not even see the cable as it is underneath the sky cables.

8. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI my wireless and adsl work fine together. :)

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've never heard of these wireless phoneline extensions

where can you get them from?

10. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maplins (code A54AT) do some and so do various other companies. Just do a google search and some should pop up.