Sky phone connection...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Lex, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Got a letter from SKY this morning saying that they can detect that both my digiboxes are not connected to the telephone line - they told me to connect them or they would cut us off! :(

Just thought I would mention it as I know people have asked this question before.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lex,

I presume you mean those that have disconnected the telephone line within the first 12 months of signing the contract.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    He means "mirror" subscription users who agreed to have both digiboxes connected to the same working phoneline for the duration of the "mirror" subscription.

I've read quite a few posts now from people who recieved the same letter and probably thought SKY would be as lax with the "mirror" sub as they've been with the subsidised install requirment.

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connecting Sky boxes to your phone line is part of your contract.

So who else do you deceive?

Your partner?

Or other organisations providing a service at the expense of people like me?

You should indeed be cut off, as I and many others are paying for your illegal viewing - not only through one, but two of your damn boxes!

Plug them back in again...you know it makes sense.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What are you talking about?! How dare you make such accusations!

I have been paying for SKY for three years. I recently had a second box installed and the SKY engineer didn't bother connecting the phoneline (as he would have had to go through four rooms to do it) he said that it wouldn't matter as I did not wish to use any of the interactive services.
    Many people on this forum have mentioned that they disconnected their SKY boxes from the phone as they, like me, do not like the fact that SKY collect this personal information. People had been asking whether SKY could detect if the phone line was connected or not - I was simply passing on the information that yes they could detect it.

jim.rae,

In my opinion your response was ill-informed and offensive. I suggest you think before responding in such a manner in the future!

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    when i had sky+ put in i had my other box moved i told the engineer i had no phone line in that room.he said not a problem as long as i didn't want to watch ppv films & other ppv's.:confused:

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Sky also want people connected so it's easier for them to "accidentally" use the interactive services. Frankly, I don't see how anyone would want to use them on purpose.

Also, I hope jim.rae's reply was a joke, because if not, it's incredibly offensive.

8. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Be thankful that you dont get banned for offensive material like this!:rolleyes::mad: