• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ phone cable ripped from socket!

benjamin88

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm in need of some help. I had a small accident last night, during which I tripped over the white cable that runs from the Sky+ box into the phone wall socket and ripped it clean out. The only thing that stopped me ripping it clean off the wall where the metal tacks!

The faceplate is off of the wall socket at the moment so I can see what's going on inside but I can't seem to find where this wire used to be located. I have a solid blue wire and a white wire with a blue stripe. I know that my Sky+ box can operate without the phone line but I'd like it fixed.

As for the rest of the wires - I think there or 7/8 going into 5 terminals.

Can someone please tell me where the Sky+ phoneline fits into the wall socket? Which terminals/where they need to be.

Thanks,
Ben

logiciel

If it is only an extension socket, and if the damage is not causing any problems with the phone, I'd simply neaten the loose wires, cover it all up with a plain wallplate, take out the cable from receiver to socket, and forget about the connection.

benjamin88

Standard Member
Well, it's the Master Socket for sure. Not sure if the phone is damaged as we don't have a house phone currently. It would be nice to have it back in, though.

I'm not sure if I'm being stupid - but I don't fully understand that diagram and it doesn't correspond to what I have at home. I just need to know the location for the wires that I've ripped out the faceplate. Everything else is where it should be - the only thing that's been ripped out is the Sky+ phone wire. Solid blue wire and a white wire with a blue stripe. I have 5 connectors only - with only connectors on one side of the faceplate.

I can provide a picture when I get home from work.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Why not just go buy a new RJ11 to phone connector from Wilkos for about a quid rather than messing about trying to repair the existing one?

benjamin88

Standard Member
Because I'm not entirely sure what it is that I have broken or not broken.

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. The wire in question is the one that runs from my Sky+ box, through my lounge, tacked to the wall, into my kitchen and into the BT master socket (don't ask why it's in the kitchen, it's a rental property). the master socket has the faceplate off and I'm plugged straight into the test socket for a better speed as recommended by Sky themselves. I tripped over the wires coming from the faceplate last night, resulting in the said white cable running from Sky+ box to be ripped from the faceplate, exposing the copper ends of the solid blue wire and white wire with blue stripe.

I need to know where these fit back into the faceplate/master socket.

Or, could it be that the phone wire from the Sky+ box doesn't go into the master socket at all and it goes into the microfilter that I also ripped out but seemingly did no damage to?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Or, could it be that the phone wire from the Sky+ box doesn't go into the master socket at all and it goes into the microfilter that I also ripped out but seemingly did no damage to?

Correct - if it doesn't run through the microfilter, it won't work anyway.

What is damaged? The BT socket, or the Sky cable? If the Sky cable, go get another. If the BT socket, then yes, it needs to be repaired.

benjamin88

Standard Member
The BT socket seems to be fine - when I tripped over the wire the microfilter remained in the test socket and because the faceplate is hanging off with nothing attached to it (it's just got the screws off to get to the test socket) there's definately no damage to that - all 7/8 wire are still snugly in the connectors.

What ripped out of the microfilter (which remained in the test socket) was the phone and/or internet that's plugged into the microfilter. Upon closer inspection, the problem wire had its copper ends bared and needed to go back into where ever its been pulled from! I just can't find where that is.

But now I'm right in thinking it goes...

Sky+ box --> RJ11 phone line --> white phone connector thing (where I now believe the wires have been ripped from) --> microfilter --> test socket/mastersocket

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Sky+ box --> RJ11 phone line --> white phone connector thing (where I now believe the wires have been ripped from) --> microfilter --> test socket/mastersocket

White phone connector things (i.e. that accept two or more phone inputs and have one output that connects to microfilter/socket) are even cheaper than RJ11 to telephone socket cables - they definitely aren't worth repairing. Just go to any DIY/electrical/Wilkinsons/Pound Shop type shop and get a replacement.

logiciel

The wire in question is the one that runs from my Sky+ box, through my lounge, tacked to the wall, into my kitchen and into the BT master socket
I'm plugged straight into the test socket
You don't need that wire so take it out completely and forget about it.
Which is it into - the master socket or the test socket - and what IS a "test socket"?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom