1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky - PC - PSP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Forestred, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guys, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my PSP in 4 weeks time (not that I'm counting), I see from reading various posts that some of you who already have a PSP have manged to get TV recordings on to your memory sticks.

Can someone please give me an idiots guide as to how to do this?

Thanks

FR

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,180
    Download the TV show from the net or rip it from DVD then just use a program like PSP Video 9 to convert it to the format that the PSP uses.

3. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the advice, converting the files so that they are ready for the PSP sounds like the easy bit as there is dedicated software as you mention.

The bit that I have no knowledge of (forgive me if this is going off-topic now) is getting some of my DVD collection onto the PC so that I can format it for the PSP so I can watch the Simpsons on the train to work.

Thanks

FR

4. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Easiest way is to get DVDecrypter. Use the Stream Processing option, and you will see a number of sections with times like 1minute, 30mins etc. For a Simpsons disc, there should be 6 30 minutes. These are 6 episodes. Just highlight the relevant one, and press Decrypt. Then use PSP Video 9 to convert the VOB files.

For your info, the files are called VTS_num1_num2 where num1 is the title number and num2 is the chapter number. Play a DVD with Power DVD (or whatever) and check the episode you want to convert, and it will show the Title/Chapter nums

5. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    www.dealdatabase.com has details on how to get your DVR or PVR (e.g. TiVo) shows onto your PSP automatically.

6. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I dont use the PSP for TV material (due to lack of space / price of memory cards) but if I was to do it Id rip to my archos, the onto the PC then onto the PSP via PSP9.

7. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info guys, I just need to get myself sorted with some cables to connect the DVD player to my PC now.

When you rips your DVD the files size is roughly 4gb for about 2-2.5 hours of movies isn't it? I presume that PSP Video 9 compresses this so it will fit on a 1gb memory stick?

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,180
    Do you not have a DVD-Rom drive in your computer? as that is the easiest method of getting your DVDs onto the computer as you can just extract the information from a disc, that way it only takes 5-10mins

Also, PSP Video 9 converts to a much lower resolution than DVD and it uses MPEG4 so is able to produce high quality without the large filesize.

9. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi IJ, no at the moment I still have my head buried in the sand and do not have a DVD drive but that has really only been the case because I've had no need for one until now.

That will be changing as it seems I now need to get myself one - dragged into last century :rolleyes: