Sky pass through on Panny dmr-ex85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ian lochrie, May 1, 2007.

1. ian lochrie

ian lochrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I watch sky I watch it via pass through my DVD recorder -panny DMR-EX85 and the picture is not what it was , they are horizontal lines at certain light dark and light levels .Is it usual for a sky picture to be poorer quality on dvd recorder pass through.Both Scarts are very good quality . The picture through the DVD tuner (freeview) is much better than Sky+ so I cant see it been the scarts .Its like it as got interference or needs a boost . Also sometimes you can see a 2x1 inch barcode/grid in the screen.

I hope this as made sense.Cheers

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Are you using composite or RGB pass-through?

In other words - Are you connected to the Sky box TV scart outlet with AV2 input of the EX85 configured for RGB in?

3. ian lochrie

ian lochrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes exactly that way

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Can you take that feed from Sky TV scart direct to the TV and see if the interference disappears?

Has this problem just recently appeared ? Did it used to be OK with this same set up?

5. ian lochrie

ian lochrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Funny enough I tried it last night and it is better than pass through but if i was ultra critical It is not perfect as I thought it once was but I dont know if I am now paranoid in this .

Also I think the line problem is worse down the right hand side as you look at it or am i just mad as an hatter

:suicide: :suicide:

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    So given that you've tried this do you now think it is the Sky output that is compromised rather than the passthrough of the DVDR?

It is possible that the LNB [ Low Noise Block] in your dish has been compromised and lost seal against weather intrusion.... which can produce odd effects like you describe.

It may be worth posting a description of the symptoms in the Satellite section to see if it resonates with anyone there.

7. TechnoSapien

TechnoSapien
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Worth ensuring their is no moisture in the sky lead where it connects to the sky box, I had similar deteriation of picture quality and in fact knackered my sky box as moisture had managed to travel down the coax(?) cable.

8. ian lochrie

ian lochrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gavtech the problem is definately 90% worse when I watch Sky+ AV2 through the DVDr it is like the RGB hasnt sharpened it enough

The question is ; Does pass through watching on any of you out their of the Panny dmr-ex85 have a picture deteriation or is it possible that it is just my machine .

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    There should not really be a detectable difference... but it is important to eliminate all other possible causes.

Is there any difference to the quality when using pure RGB pass-through { i.e. DVDR in 'OFF' Mode} compared to DVDR in ON mode with AV2 selected as the input?

Incidentally - Check your connections configuration in:

Functions / To thers / Setup / Connections.... and ensure that:

AV2 input is set for RGB
    AV1 output is set to RGB 1

Also - you've not yet said whether this is a recent change and deterioration or if it has always been like this.
    Did it used to be OK?

10. ian lochrie

ian lochrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will check these things later when i get home , but i am sure the connection is what you suggested - Ive only had the machine less than 2 month but has always had the same quality.
    I even connected a vivanco (?) 4in1 scart scart to the TV over the weekend with not the thickest lead to it and plugged the 2 scarts in , DVD and Sky+ and I was surprised to see it as a much improved picture to what Im getting but when I turned the DVD off it would not go Automatically to AV2 Sky+ it just showed a black screen and would not record off sky + AV2 .I have no intention to use the all in one- Ive had it ages and just experipented , but i was surprised on the improvement on pure quality.

Cheers mate