1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ packed up???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by reddevil, May 3, 2003.

1. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night decided to watch a few programmes I had recorded earlier in the week.

It came up that there were no programmes to watch in the sky+ planner. What? They were there the previous night.

Anyway went back to normal viewing and tried to record something but got a message saying 'System Fault-Playback and Recording facility unavailable. Called Sky for assistance.

Ok I thought. I turned off the box at the mains, unplugged it and waited a few minutes. Thought this may reset it. Plugged back in and waited a few minutes again and now the box is stuck in standby!!! The remote or front control panel buttons don't work at all.....nada!!

If I press a button on the remote, the batteries are ok by the way, the remote command light on the box doesn't even respond.

So turned everything off again and this time I noticed that when I powered the box up again the standby light was a dim red, then all the front panel lights would flickered on briefly and then the standby light would turn a bright red.
    Still no response......its like the whole box has permanently frozen.

Phoned Sky CC....lol.....and went thru the standard dribble....power down etc......nothing. Was told to do a forced software download using the backup button. Got that message on screen and waited 10 minutes and guess what.....nothing, box still frozen and locked on standby. Phoned back Sky and now an engineer booked for this Tuesday.

Anyone else had this problem????

2. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    had that problem about 5 times,5 new boxes installed!!!so far the last one has worked fine for about 3 weeks,

3. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't like the sound of that:rolleyes:

Up to now the box still frozen after letting it cool down (unplugged at mains) as thought overheating may be an issue.

4. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    there is nothing you can do to fix the system fault...i tried everything,you will have to wait for the engineer.

5. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did he do to rectify the problem tho gathering by your other posts in this forum, your problem was ongoing judging by the amount of boxes you have had.

I was on the 5 week trial and the Sky+ box was installed end of Feb and up to last night was OK tho leading up to this fault I had noticed on some recordings done, that the picture would freeze towards the end of recording and couldn't rewind or fast forward.
    Only thing I could do was stop the playback and try again tho same problem still there.

Seems these boxes aren't up to much which is not good for Sky.
    Its amazing how say they are to you when you agreed to the trial even tho am sure they know of these problems.

Typical big coporate tactics aimed at us the consumer.:mad:

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    every time the engineer came he just gave me a new box,like i said the one i have now is working fine,i would of liked one of the sky+ boxes that they show on the advert,maybe i will ring them and ask if i can have one???

7. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same fault on my third box. Luckily when the engineer turned up he brought a shiny new V2 box as replacement. Result. Hope the same happens to you MrFurious....

8. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Engineer turned up today, took one look and got new box from his van. Didn't get a V2 tho :(

Keep fingers crossed that this one doesn't play up.

9. Adders

Adders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this problem too ... on my second box now - okay for about three months!! Is this a batch manufacturing problem, or should I start thinking seriously about an extended warranty??

:(

10. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been checking out the Citizens advice bureau's web site because my box has packed up again, (currently on my third) and the warrenty runs out in a few days.

For anyone who purchased their box on or after the 31st March 2003 go to the hyperlink, or read this:

If you bought your goods on or after 31 March 2003 and one of your rights under consumer law has been breached (see under heading Getting a full refund for goods ), you can ask the trader for a free repair or replacement. You can do this at any time within 6 years of buying the goods (within 5 years if you bought them in Scotland), as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If you do not discover the problem within 6 years (5 years in Scotland) of buying the goods, you will not be able to use your rights under consumer law to claim a repair or a replacement.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...r_the_customer.htm#Repairorreplacementofgoods