Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Duh!!
So we had entertainment and movies, with HD and multiroom x 2. Everything except sports. Not interested in any sport except the F1 which I have enjoyed getting as part of the HD package.

I wanted to see what 3D was like, so I had sports added. Now the 3D is great, Galapagos stunning and even the darts in 3D is amazing.
But I can't justify having the sports just for 3D as there isn't enough content, so I just phoned to cancel it.
Found out that if I swap to the Entertainment Extra Plus package, I could reduce my bill by a few quid and still get HD and 3D without the sports.
But if I do that, I lose Sky F1 because it's now part of the sports package only. I continue to get it now because I have historically had it as part of the HD package.
But the Sky F1 channel is being deleted anyway at the end of this season in November and presumably the F1 is then moving to the standard sports channels.
So I have cancelled sports and will lose 3D.
And after the current F1 season, I'll be moving to the Entertainment Extra Plus package in November (to save money and get 3D back) and watching the 2014 F1 coverage on the BBC.
Have enjoyed the excellent Sky F1 channel, but our bill for Sky is still too much even without the sports package. I'll miss it.
Still paying more than £70 a month to Sky.

OK - Ian J has apparently left the forum so I'll delete his thread - Logiciel

F1 is free and in HD on 7.3W, and theres always the BBC of course...

A different satellite, the one Sky UK uses, 28.2e, is one of many.

There are a large number of satellites, carrying thousands of channels, some of them carrying material of interest to UK viewers, of which many can be accessed in the UK, by using a dish with more than one LNB or a dish that can be moved by a motor, together with a satellite receiver or recorder.
There are numerous enthusiasts on the general Satellite sub-forum, for those channels, and for their reception by either of the two methods.

No it's not. :eek:

Yes it was until a certain, (useful), post was deleted!! :mad:

This forum, used to deal with technical issues, (with a bit of light hearted banter thrown in)

Any and all Sky channel information and packages can be found on the Sky web site. No need to repeat it here.

Agreed! :smashin:

I actually watch very little TV these days but, as an ex-transmitter engineer, I'm still very interested in the technical side of broadcasting, even though it's nearly 20 years since I retired.

It's good to be able to discuss (and sometimes assist) with technical problems, without having to wade through the inevitable diverse opinions on channels and programmes.

Stuart,

It's your Forum, so we respect your decisions, but can you reconsider this one... :lease:

But the Sky F1 channel is being deleted anyway at the end of this season in November and presumably the F1 is then moving to the standard sports channels.

Don't think so. Where did you hear that?

Yes it was until a certain, (useful), post was deleted!! :mad:

snip

Agreed! :smashin:

snip
It might have been right for this to be a hardware forum when it was just sky HD but since it's been merged with the sky and sky+ forum then I think it's right for all things sky to be posted here.

Don't think so. Where did you hear that?
Hope not. I'm not a fan of F1 myself so it having it's own channel suits.

Last edited:
I don't get the logic of that about Sky at all, but I do agree about those things on wheels whizzing round the same road over and over again.
"All things Sky" is likely to bring a lot of dross for technical posters to plough through, and for John and me to mod.

Last edited:
"All things Sky" is likely to bring a lot of dross for technical posters to plough through, and for John and me to mod.

Especially when that dross is fully covered on the "Official" website for Sky.

I heard about the F1 channel demise from a girl at Sky upgrades.
And there are three elements to the Sky discussion. Hardware, the services and the content. While the what's on TV forum is clearly for discussion of the content, there is no question in my mind that it is not and was never intended to be where the sky service discussions should be located.

Why isn't there just an extra forum for Sky software issue then?

Cheers

Dave.

The new rules for the F1 channel are only for new customers though aren't they? Existing HD subscribers are un-affected..... According to this anyway....... CLICKY

Cheers

Dave.

It would be overwhelmed!.......:laugh:

i take it there used to be one then? :confused:

***EDIT***

And the iPhone, iPad forums on here have seperate hardware and software forums and don't seem to be overwhelmed..... ;)

Cheers

Dave.

Last edited:
Sky software
iPhone, iPad forums on here have seperate hardware and software forums and don't seem to be overwhelmed
What does "Sky software" mean?:confused:
Id like to think that the reason is that far fewer people use those ridiculous devices than use satellite TV.:(

Rather a strange comment.... But if you require an answer it would be the software that is run by the Sky Hardware this particular sub forum is all about..... :rolleyes:

What is Software?

I think there are quite a few more iPhones, iPads & iPods out there than the roughly 10,000,000 sky boxes in use. ;) This household for one has only 1 Sky box but 2 iPhones, 2 iPods and 1 iPad.

Cheers

Dave.

Last edited:
What's strange about the question?
Software means a program used by a computer to carry our specific functions.
It's stretching that meaning to apply the word to a machine that does little more than provide TV programmes.
I don't think I've even seen one of the "i" things but every house here has a satellite dish - mine has four;).

Last edited:
Back on topic, Sky Package Changes, is it generally known exactly what those changes are?
For example it was news to me that the single HD charge has been split up according to the main subscription.

Because software isn't just confined to something run on a computer... You really couldn't be farther from the truth. Your car runs software, your washing machine runs software, your TV runs software, your mobile phone runs software, the telephone exchange your home phone connects to runs software as well as your sky box or any other PVR out there.

I'm not saying we need a specific software sub-forum as in the Apple forums etc.... but if there isn't going to be a specific software sub forum why do we need to keep up this thing of "This is a hardware issues only forum" but then not provide a specific sub forum for software issues.

Apologies to the OP for this off topic-ness.

Cheers

Dave.

OK, so some people have stretched the meaning of the word, but it's not about "truth" or fiction.
How many people think of the way in which their satellite machine works, or how all those other domestic devices work, as being to do with such a technical - and really such a silly - word?
On the point "why do we need to keep up this thing of "This is a hardware issues only forum"" you may not have noticed that in fact we no longer do keep up that thing.
I deleted the fixed thread immediately and now this forum is open to "all things Sky", whatever those may be called.

My question wasn't actually looking for a definition of "software"; it was what that means in this context.
What sort of things to do with Sky machines are software issues, which are firmware, which are hardware?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom