1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Pace Vs Amstrad Any Complaints

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ladypickers, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having Sky+ installed on Monday (not the 160gb), could anyone tell me which is better Pace or Amstrad. I have had issues with Amstrad in the past so am reluctant to have one, are there any differences between the 2 boxes, has anyone had any problems with either. I had my old panny box for years and it had never given me any problems. Also are they silver or black

Thanks

Sarah

2. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had Sky+ installed yesterday and got a dreaded Amstrad receiver..............
    Only, I have none of the "banding" problems recently discussed at length on AV Forums. The picture and sound on my Tosh 46wm48 are as good as it gets (RGB scart). Not a patch on my Panny S97 DVD thru HDMI, but you wouldn't expect it.

Have no experience of the Pace Sky+ box.

I am more than happy with my Amstrad so far :thumbsup: ..................shouldn't have said that :rolleyes: .........tempting fate an' all.

I have put out a thread to those who have had problems in the past as to what to look out for or to expect next. Only 1 reply thus far and that was to remind me that there were once problems with a batch of Pace receivers.

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just do a search for Amstrad on this forum and you will see that there are quite a few bad ones around. However, you will be lucky to get a PACE straight from the van as Sky are only using Amstrads ATM. Most of us on here have had to fight to get PACE boxes so good luck.

Wackojacko32

see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168661

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Go for the Pace definitely

5. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so r the amstrads just less reliable or do they lack features

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AFAIK the features are the same, and I have had both. The main problem is that the current crop of Amstrad boxes suffer from Vertical Banding to a greater or lesser degree. This was more visible on my 100hz set than my 50hz set, but was definately a problem with the Amstrad boxes.

My advice is if you get an Amstrad and can't see any problems don't go looking. If you can then you may find an e-mail to James Murdoch will be neccesary to get it changed for a PACE, once you've tried a few more Amstrads, obviously.

Wackojacko32

7. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had the Amstrad, it was noisy, high pitch whining from the fan/HDD. It drove the wife mad, changed to the Pace; problem sorted

8. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the only problem i've got with the amstrad box is the slow response from the remote.

i have not been able to see any banding or had noise issues. what i did have for the past 2 weeks are failed recordings , freezes on playback and "clash" messages.

i changed the 250gb drive to the old 40gb and everything works fine. i've ordered a new drive and will install it tomorrow.

9. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I put my foot down for the pace thanks all

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I had my Amstrad swapped out for a Pace because i had the vertical banding problem.

However, in it's favour, I never had any fan noise from the Amstrad, while i do from the Pace. I think it's becuase the Amstrad has vents in the unit top wheareas the Pace doesn't.

Other than that, the only difference I've noticed is that the Pace seems to require less direct line of sight to respond to the remote control.