Sky + (pace box) and Fanmate controller.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davidcotton, Nov 29, 2004.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Well this morning I ordered a zalman fanmate controller, to help control the noisy fan in my pace box. Can I just double check that I also need the following two items with the experts please :) :-

a)Power Supply Y-Cable
    Y Cable 5.25in Drive

and

b)Fan Multi-Connector Cable ZM-MC1
    Zlmn 4pin-multi 3pin

This is the fanmate that I ordered btw

Zalman Fan Mate 1 (OA-000-ZA)
    The Zalman Fan Mate1 is an adjustable rheostat that allows you to adjust the RPM of your 3-pin fans. This ingenious product will appeal to those want to lower the noise levels of their PC.

Any tips or advice on fitting the above gratefully received! :)

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm... the problem I would have with this is that all it does is set a new speed for the fan. Sky+ boxes tend to be quite sensitive to over-heating, and when you're recording 2 shows and watching another, I'd expect it to be producing significant amounts of heat - so you need the fan on full then.

The issue for upgraders is shutting the fan off when it's not needed - so a heat-sensitive controller would make more sense, I feel. Don't know if one exists...

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can get PC chassis fans with thermal sensors which regulate the fan speed, but I don't think you can get them in a size small enough to fit a Sky+ box, and from experience this type of fan tends to run at full speed at normal room temperatures anyway.