1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ owners who've had Tivo - do you miss it?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by richard plumb, May 8, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I notice a distinct lack of Tivo love on this forum. I couldn't do without mine, and believe that several of the features it has mean that Sky+ is a weak substitute.

But a lot of you here have Sky+ - some of you must have had a Tivo too. So do you miss wishlists and season passes? Is series link good enough now?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm lucky enough to have both. I love the way Tivo can search out using key words. I check the To Do list and then schedule the recordings, of the things I want to keep, on the sky+. This gives me the best picture quality and I can then archive it off to DVD-R.

Tivo isn't perfect though, it failed to record the final two episodes of Jeremiah the other night, it just did the last one, whereas sky+ series link recorded them both with no trouble.

The Tivo program guide can be next to useless. It says a program is such and such an episode and when you watch it, it's something totally different. Sometimes you get no synopsis whatsoever! It can't cope with program changes either as the list only updates every 24 hours.

DaveP

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I too am lucky enough to have both with a DVD-R machine connected to each. If I was to be brutal I would have to say that if I had to let one go it would be Sky+ (and keep the TiVo). What I love about each is

Sky+
    Quality of recordings
    Really simple and quick to use
    Watch one digi channel whilst recording another

TiVo
    Set and forget (it continually picks up new series that I didn't even know were back on)
    Search feature (title, actor, director, etc)
    Program guide (not always perfect but far better/easier to use than Sky+)

Now, if we could combine the Sky+ recording quality with the TiVo features ......dream on!!

4. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think that it's horses for courses. I've got 120Gb versions of both, but use them for different things.

I use the TiVo for standard television timeshifting because its season passes are so much better than Sky+ series links. I also like the way that it records things that it thinks you might like, as well as how it can distinguish first-run programs from repeats (and can also remember if it's recorded something for you before).

The wishlist search is also very handy. I'm thinking of building a pond in the garden, but I'd never watched a gardening program in my life. I set up a "pond" wishlist on TiVo the other day. It automatically searched all sorts of channels that I never watch and, a few days later, it had recorded several gardening programs about building ponds. Maybe it's not the most exciting example, but it reminded me just how much better TiVo is than Sky+ in terms of changing the way that you watch and record television.

I use Sky+ for movies, which is when I want decent sound and picture. The 5.1 surround sound and the storage of the actual bitstream mean that it's much better than TiVo for home cinema.

As Messiah says, the ideal would be Sky+ picture and sound quality with TiVo features. If TiVo had been more successful then Sky could not have got away with giving us such an inferior piece of software. Unfortunately the TiVo marketting department must be pretty incompetent in having failed to sell such an excellent product. As a result there is no real competition for Sky+ and therefore no need for them to make the radical changes necessary to match TiVo in the near future. I just hope that my TiVo lasts until they do...

Cheers,
    Ian.