Sky+ outside of UK

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by KeithO, Apr 6, 2004.

1. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Has anyone based outside of the UK got a Sky+ box? If so, how does the EPG work? I understood you needed a connection to a phone line? Or is this just Sky marketing bs?

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The connection to a phone line is only to get a subsidy on the price of the equipment, after 12 months you don't need the telephone connection, so you could then move it out of the UK.

Keith

3. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Hmmm....trouble is, I'm already outside of the UK! I don't want to even think about how much Sky+ is without the subsidy :(

4. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Well, worth keeping an eye open on Ebay and the backs of magazines for a secondhand one so...

Keith

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There is no subsidy on SKY+.
    You can walk into any UK dealer and some high street stores and buy it for £199 (ish). The phone requirment is part of the SKY+ contract and should only apply if the SKY+ is installed by SKY or one of it's agents and it serves no tecnical purpose except for a means to allow "active" services.
    However the SKY+ service is tied into the SKY account and carried on a SKY smartcard and would need to be activated via a phone call to SKY and upgrading or creating an account to handle payment for the service and any subscription channels.
    These factors are what make having SKY+ difficult for those outside the region SKY can legally operate.

6. MunichMag

MunichMag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Keith,

I'm also in Munich and looking at upgrading to Sky+, if it's possible (I have the same concerns as you over the phone connection). I'd be interested in knowing if you went ahead, and how you got on.

I've heard that if you buy a new box you can use your existing Sky card, but you need to phone sky up to get them to tie the card to the new box (I would do this from a UK mobile number, not a german number), but do you need to have the box connected to the phone line at the time? I've had my sky subscription more than 12 months, so I'm no longer required to have my existing box connected to the phone line.

If you are still looking for a Sky+ box, someone is selling them on ebay for just over £200 inc postage to Europe.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091427156&category=29784

Richard.