Sky+ output to component

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by markfraser, Dec 21, 2004.

1. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to start using the video switching on my denon av amp and to do so I think I need to convert the RGB or S-video output to component. There are a few devices out there like the ones from Keene but I was looking for some general advice - i.e. is my reasoning above sound and assuming I use good connectors and convetor, will the loss when compared to connecting direct to my tv be significant? Subjective I know but somebody else must be doing this? Also, any recomendations on convertors themselves.

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All depends what Denon amp you are using...most of them these days will upconvert any video signal to component...ie, you output from the s video on your sky+ box to an s video in and the amp will convert it and output it through the component outputs.

I think thay did this from the 3803 on...

3. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My one is a 2803 which won't up-convert

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right mate...the 2803 will not upconvert. In that case, go for the JS Tech RGB to Component converter. It's the most expensive, but the noticeable loss will be negligeable - if any. I've installed many of these onto 42 & 50 inch plasma screens and haven't noticed any signal degredation at all.
    Make sure you go for the JS Tech one though...carry out a search on these forums and people swear by them...so do I :thumbsup:

5. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a 32" Loewe Mimo, so given what you say, the loss again should hopefully be almost nil then.
    Great - thanks very much fro such a prompt response.

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem...I'm sure it will look stunning.

7. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new convertor arrives tomorrow (the JS one) and I was flicking through my instruction book on the receiver to see what I need to do to set up video switching and although the physical connection is straighforward I can't see how to get the video switching enabled - am I missing the obvious here? Is it somehow on by default or something?