1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ ordering and installation advice needed please

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jmjm, Feb 26, 2004.

1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I want to order Sky+. I have just moved house and have an old Sky box but no dish and have just cancelled the subscription. I was contemplating ordering from the Sky website which is offering:

Sky Movie World & Family Pack: £34.00
    Other Subscription(s): £0.00
    Sky+ & FREE minidish: £199.00
    Installation cost: £1.00
    Sub total: £200.00

I have been deterred, however, by the install date being so long and the fact that I want a decent, reliable install with up to date equipment and tidy cabling rather than the normal joke job that the people Sky send do.

My question is: Can I get the same deal as above but quicker by ordering from an independent and if so can anyone reccomend one in the Croydon area?

Also: Can I do anything useful with the old box without having to pay Sky anymore money every month?

Thanks for any advice

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,082
    Judging by recent posts on this subject, it certainly looks a better option to have an independant installer.

But then the installation fee will be the normal £50 and not the £1 offer.

You have to ask yourself is it worth the extra £49 to get a decent installer. Plus you are not guaranteed any better than Sky installers but there is a very high probability that they would be.

If you do a search on this forum you will find loads of threads discussing problems getting free to view cards for 2nd boxes.

You can do what I am doing with my old box and that is flogging it on Ebay. Should get about £40 for it.

Greg