Sky or Virgin

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by aerodynamic18, Nov 6, 2017.

1. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,381
    Hey guys,
    I am about to move at the end of the month as was planning to just bring sky along with me. Without movies or sports but with broadband and phone my monthly bill is around £80-90. I see that virgin are offering there full house and movies package that is broadband and tv and sky movies for only £66 pm. I rang sky and the best they can do is £77 inc movies. Im just nervous about moving from sky to virgin. has anyone done similar and been happy?

2. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Hate virgin but I move from one to the other each year as new customer deals are always best. Out of the 2 I prefer sky but will always swap to the other each year.

3. Cobb

Cobb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I prefer Sky TV but I loathe their broadband service.

4. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Yes Virgin internet is much better but their router range is shocking compared to sky

5. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,230
    We have sky tv and virgin broadband.

6. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    You can use a 3rd party router though?

I'm nearly in the same boat. Have just had Virgin Cables laid. I cant get BT Infinity so for internet I'd go with Virgin for sure, but TV? No way.

7. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I cancelled the Virgin TV package. Little there that I want and I find streaming services to offer better quality content and value for money. (Same goes for Sky for the most part.)

Virgin's standard router is a shocker for Wi-fi, even if you're living in a flat. I got a third party one and use Virgin's box as a modem.

8. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,731
    Virgin for the BB- the 200 meg.

No need for any TV packages in this day and age. I purely have BB.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    I've never had Virgin but everyone I know who uses them never seem happy with it, a mate of mine said he will be swapping back to Sky as soon as he can.

10. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,916
    If you are at the end of your Sky contract why not cancel Sky and wait for them to offer you 60% off to stay with them. I do that every year and am currently paying £35 a month for 3 HD boxes, with Sky box sets and all channels except movies and sport. My phone and broadband is through Vodafone, which was free for 12 months and £30 thereafter on an 18 month contract.

11. bubs999

bubs999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    I was with Virgin foe years, I thought their TV service was very good. Loved my TiVo box. Had a stint with sky and BT for TV, but now I don't subscribe to any of them.
    Sky broadband, Netflix and Amazon, don't even have free view, with the amount of apps out there, there is no reason for me to pay Sky or Virgin for a TV package.
    In the 2 years, I can't say I've missed anything

12. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,473
    Virgin broadband is excellent, had it for donkey's years (or is that donkeys' years?). I have no idea about TV packages as we use Netflix and Now TV. I once plugged the router into the wrong PSU by accident, smoke and fizzle, quick call ("Yes, it was entirely my fault"), free replacement was at my door first thing the following morning.

Agree about the router range - either put your superhub in modem mode or hook up a powerline wifi extender if you're already using home plugs.

Virgin retentions play hardball even if you've been with them for ages. I usually have to cancel, in which case "Proper Retentions" call you back in a couple of days with a decent deal.

13. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,381
    Well I have cancelled sky. They got within a pound of the virgin offer but couldn’t sort me a new box. Mine is almost 8 and I don’t know how much longer it would last. All cause we only have one tv and all the offers they had are for multiroom which would be pointless for me lol

14. bubs999

bubs999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    They will call, usually twice if you reject the 1st offer

15. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,381
    I’m going to give them 24-48 hrs before I ring virgin

16. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    At least with Virgin you can "trial" them and go with their monthly contracts. Touch more expensive but at least your not committed for a year. That's what I'll be doing.

Yet to find out what speed I can get. I assume 200mb for sure, but with multiple streamers going in the evenings I might try 300mb if I can get it.

17. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,731
    The main reason I went back to VM was because I had a problem with my sky hardware and it took me hours to get through over a couple of days. I say ‘get through’ I didn’t get through at all so I decided to cancel my direct debit.

Christ the letters they sent me for doing such a thing. Binned the lot of them.

That must’ve been around 8 years ago.

I have no doubt that VM are no better.

18. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,309
    Whilst perhaps not overly helpful to decide Sky vs. Virgin, I struggle to see what real-life benefit having a 200+Mbps package actually is. I (by virtue of a cock-up on their part) ended up going from BT's 50Mbps package to 76Mbps package at no extra cost - I honestly can't tell the difference!

Sure, speedtest.net shows that I've got a very reliable ~76Mbps download speed, but web pages load at the same near-instant speed, my Xbox downloads come in at ~40-45Mbps and I'm running the same gadgets, 2 laptops, 1 Mac, 3 phones. Nothing seems to have really sped up that I can see.

I believe that if I had 200+Mbps, I'd still have the same end-user experience. I think most consumers get caught up in their download speed figures, without actually taking account of the fact that your download speed will always be governed by the upload speed of wherever you're downloading from...I'm fairly confident that Xbox Live cannot ever upload games from their servers to each individual Xbox on their network at anything like 200Mbps.

4 games consoles downloading a game at once, whilst 4 people watch Netflix in 4K? Perhaps 200+Mbps would be useful, but who's got that sort of usage?

I'm happy at 76Mbps for £30 p/m* thanks :thumbsup:

*this figure includes line rental @ ~£17-18 p/m too.

19. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    200 compared to say 70 is a massive difference if you download alot of content and don't want to have to wait. I downloaded an 2gb film in under 3 mins last week.

20. Fluffyhead

Fluffyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I’m with virmin on the 100mb with basic tv box. Was paying £34 and now they’ve hiked the price to £40, and what do I receive for that? Nothing, virmin are always increasing prices with no justification.

21. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,309
    Okay, but this calculator Download Time Calculator - calculate download time shows that you should have downloaded it in just under 90 seconds - so back to my earlier point that your download speed is dependant on what upload speed you are dealing with at the other end of the link.

Capture.PNG

If the source file can only be uploaded at a certain speed, then 50 mbps, 200mbps, or 1000Mbps, it makes no difference.

Fwiw, I don't actually download many files anymore, only the odd album on Amazon Music. As this takes mere seconds, I don't take much notice tbh.

Granted, if you live in a home where multiple high-speed downloads from multiple high-speed sources happen at once, then I concede that the extra speed is a useful tool.

Downloading a 2Gb file in 3.5 minutes on my connection vs. 1.5 minutes on yours doesn't justify the additional cost (to me personally).

22. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    The time I was guessing, I was just trying to make the point of it is noticeable

23. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    I get what your saying, but not everyone gets a stable connection.

ON a good day I get 21Mbps. This is just OK for 4K streaming if no-one else is using the internet and until 11pm there always is.

So would 50Mbps be enough from Virgin? nah. I don't believe I'd get two good streaming connections with that at peak times.

So that means 100Mbps and to get 200Mbps is just £5 more expensive. At 200Mbps Id hope anyone could stream whatever they want at whatever time.

Add to the fact that I want Xbox One X at some point with 50GB of updates etc, I want them just asap. That can be running and I can still watch Netflix etc without a hitch (again, I'm hoping that's the situation)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  24. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,309
    For balance, Sky and BT also increase their fees for no apparent reason too ;)

In fact, I think all service providers - gas, electric, phone, mobile phone etc. do exactly the same. Don't even get me started on the water companies - if you told someone 100 years ago that in the future, they'd have to pay (huge amounts of) money for something that falls out of the sky for free, they'd think you were insane :laugh:

25. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    Just had an email from BT.

Sports,
    Broadband,
    Calls,
    Sports HD all going up.

26. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,309
    This is how they make their money - unless you consistently use your 200Mbps for the whole day, guess what happens to the bandwidth you don't use? They sell it to someone else...Money for old rope!

So, 'only' an extra £60 per year is fine, but how many customers are overpaying based on their actual usage?

Don't get me wrong, I know that I'm never hitting my 76Mbps and I'm happy with that, but I'm not going to buy more speed than I need unless I notice a problem that I can prove to myself is caused by a bottleneck at my end.

Customers get told by their providers that 'we never throttle your bandwidth', which is only partially true - if you ran a speedtest or tried to download a file at any time, the head-end equipment (Cisco CBR8 in VMs case) will detect the 'pull' and release the required speed to you. If your indiviual router is not pulling any data over the head-end, the port will be assigned to someone else. So technically, your bandwith isn't actually throttled, but it's not like you leave it downloading 24/7 either, so you don't notice.

If you maxed out your 200Mbps 24/7, then it's highly likely to raise an eyebrow or 2 in the Network Operations Centre...

27. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,731
    I only went for the big 200 so I could do this on AVF:D

A342DF0A-5DA9-449E-A989-070EFBBD4E0B.png

In all seriousness, I have upgraded a few times and you don’t really notice a huge difference but I often have a lot running at the same time and it’s never skipped a beat once. I’m talking three films steaming at the same time and the usual Phones/tablets etc.

No idea how it would compare to say 100 meg. I don’t want to find out (see pic)

28. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,869

A friend pays Sky whatever he does to get a paltry 2-3Mbps. Up the road they get 22Mbps and pay the same.

Either way, any provider wins in the end.

I'm not saying I will 100% get the top package. It totally depends on what the actual speed I get. If I pay for 50Mbps and only get 30Mbps which quite often won't be enough then I'll pay the extra for 100Mbps and get 80

29. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Your upload speed is fractionally faster than my download speed. :)

Think I might be the only person here yet to switch from standard broadband, but I just can’t justify it. Don’t live in a Virgin area, so that’s not an option anyway.

30. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,575
    Sky is BT.
    Virgin is Virgin.