Sky+ or Virgin VIP ? Differences on TV only please

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by SAP7, Jan 10, 2008.

1. SAP7

SAP7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Besides the loss of Sky ONE, is there any major difference between the two systems?

I'm not after the hardware/box comparison, as I can read what the V+ box has above Sky (ie forget paper specs). How the box works in practice is of interest, though.

What I do want to know is how the pictures differ, if any channels are not boradcast in widescreen on Virgin, or in Doly digital, and if anyine has experienced both and has a genuine comparison. It is really what a happy Sky user of movies and sport would find missing if they switched.
    I know Sky often provide Virgin with an inferior product (eg Sky sports used to be just 4:3 aspect on ntl).

(reason: I'm on Sky with everything... wondering whether to move to Virgin as I have phone/broadband with them. I'd swap Sky+ full package and one multiroom box for the VIP Virgin pack. Obviosuly I'd get two boxes, and the whole package would improve my phone/internet. Just wanted to see what I would lose in the TV stakes before I switch!)

2. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with the Virgin impressive package you get a V+ HD capaple box, multiroom, Stanta sports . Setants sports news, OD tv , which is fab, the best bit is the HD tv it really is good.
    Aldinho

3. redken

redken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made the switch from sky hd to virgins vip package, the v+ box takes a lot longer to change channel than a sky hd box but apart from that I have no complaints at all about the operation of virgins v+ box. What you don't get on virgin is the red button interactive function on sports or the ability to record a match of your choice on football first.

4. SAP7

SAP7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmmm

Are all the sports in widescreen?

And, if you cant record a match of your choice on Football first, how do you watch it? I take it you can select one to see, but not allow the recorder to select... even if it is as you are watching it??

5. redken

redken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all sports I've watched are in widescreen pq is very good particularly premier league football on sky sports.
    There is no red button interactive option at all on sky sports through virgin you have to watch the match sky choose on football first, you cannot record a match of your choice. also you cannot choose a match to watch on champions league nights again you just get whatever match is on sky sports 2 or sky sports extra.