1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ or VCR

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jkuy9, Dec 12, 2002.

1. jkuy9

jkuy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am getting a new tv this christmas and have been thinking about getting either a new VCR or SKY+.

I have read some bad things about SKY+ and i am not sure how much i will use SKY+ if i get it. I don't have a VCR at the moment as i left it with my mother when i moved out in january of this year.

Is Sky+ with the £250-300 for the box and the extra £10 a month on your bill? Also does the box have optical out?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Yes to both.

Buy it, it is fantastic, you'll love it and use it all the time.

Your mum should have one too:) .

3. jkuy9

jkuy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is so great about it?

isnt it just like a dvd recorder without the removable media?

4. hawkeye

hawkeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got sky+ too. i echo gringotts sentiments.
    very easy to use, great features, separate satellite tuner for recording, great quality recordings, DD output on certain film channels.
    buy it, but it's not cheap !

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No, no, no...:rolleyes:
    With all the adverts that they run for the thing as well!

Programme recording set from the EPG; twin satellite tuners, allowing watch 1 channel whilst recording another (and very soon record TWO programmes whilst watching a third that's saved on the disk etc.); pause live TV; instant rewind now apparently available, for up to 60 mins; DD5.1 sound from some films; s-video output; 'series link' recording. And so on...

The downside is the cost of the box (which is actually quite fair for what you're getting) and the £10 subscription charge (outrageous in my opinion, since the EPG is included in the Sky sub anyway).

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Another nice thing about Sky+ is the quality of the recording. It actually records the digital signal that comes down the wire, so when it plays it back what you see and hear is literally identical to what you would be seeing if you were watching the program live. Any other method of digital recording requires the Sky box to convert to an analogue signal, then for the recorder to convert it back to digital again, followed by another conversion to analogue when you play it back - that's three conversions rather than one, and the recording quality inevitably suffers.

The fact that you're recording the original signal also lets you do things like switch subtitles on and off during playback rather than having them etched into the recording.

Sky+ is definitely one of those things where, once you've been using it for a while, you can't understand how you ever managed without it.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the Timeslip function! I never watch live TV anymore, I only watch what I have recorded on the sky+. And you dont get the Red Blob!

DaveP

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just ordered it

please let this be true. I hate that red blob so so much

what would be marvelous is if it also got rid of skyone etc logo

why do they feel the need to do this :mad:

sorry for asking but what is the timeslip function?

9. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timeslip is just when you start to record the beginning and watch it say 20 mins later. That way you can skip all those adverts and watch an hours tv in 40mins.

If you planned you viewing a day in advance, you could get 12hrs of non BBC channels in in just 8hrs.

The instant rewind is great if you like me say who or what was he in? the usual reply being did not see it, so you just rewind and pause. Also and be careful how you explain this to the misses, but if anything like mine, you can pause the tv as soon as she asks what happens next, explain to her that your crystal ball in at the cleaners and she should wait and see like the rest of us........

Had my sky plus over a year now so may even give it a 120gb upgrade.

Rgds

Nathan

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a couple of basic questions

It automatically gets rid of adverts? fantastic

Automatic rewind - Am I right in thinking then if it has a buffer of say 15min?? then sky+ will always be recording what you watch, only using up 15min of space. Sounds like a fantastic idea

How much roughly (in time) does the HD hold?

Say if i set it up to record all of the sopranos season 4 from E4 (no adverts ;) ) could i then put onto VHS? whilst doing this presumably i couldn't watch something else i had taped from sky+

A nice feature would be if you could make backups onto VHS running in the background.

Actually DVDR are not that expensive anymore. Could it backup onto DVD?

if so this would work out at what £4 per season of sopranos beats paying £40 odd

11. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does not get rid of ads, just if it is recorded in advance, you can just fast forward over the ads yourself

Do not know what auto rewind uses, but this sounds as if should happen.

What the HD records is dependant on the source, anything from 10 hrs to 20hrs I guess.

You can output a recorded program via the VCR scart and watch another channel, do not know about another recorded one though.

You could back up onto DVD-r, via an anologue signal, like a TIVO does.

Best go to http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

Rgds

Nathan

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AV Junky mentioned it already but,
    Automatic Rewind is user variable either Off, or 5 minutes to 60 minutes.