sky or telewest?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by stephen19, Nov 24, 2004.

1. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Have a choice of Sky or Telewest where I am. Which do you recommend? Is one of a better quality than the other (higher bitrate, better picture/audio, etc)?

Thanks.

2. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I'm with telewest but would dump them for Sky at an instant if I could (I'm not allowed a dish unfortunately!). Sky+ is the future from what I can tell so my opinion would be to go with that. I guess the only plus for Telewest is that you can get a pretty cheap broadband and phone package included with the tv service if you want. But from what I can tell, the tv is cheaper on SKy than on telewest.

Nabby

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky - because of the facilities offered by Sky +

Record to hard disk
    Record two programs at once, whilst playing back a third
    Easier to use than a VCR, and fantastic quality recordings
    Dolby Digital sound on Sky Movies

4. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Thanks for the fast reply. Is the opnly reason you would go to Sky for the plus box, or are you having problems with TW? I probably will not have the premium sports and movies channels (to begin with at least) so I would only be after a standard sky box, not the plus, and sky and TW seem to offer similar packages for the same prices.

5. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    No but it's one of the main reasons. I guess it's just the fact that Sky is better value becuase there's no middle man, you get full digital functionality with the red button for the interactive digital services and a bigger choice of channels for your money.

If you're a new subscriber I would suggest the Sky+ box, even if you don't go for one of the premium packages, unless it's way too expensive without the premium package subscription. The reason being that often the best deals are for new subscribers rather than existing ones. That way, you have the best hardware upfront and can chop and change your package accordingly (within the terms of the contract of course).

If you're really anti-dish then TW have not given me any problems at all but given you have a choice I would recommend Sky over TW.

6. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stephen! I have got both sky digital and ntl digital cable TV, and I would advise you to get sky, as it is the best channel provider in the UK imo. The 2 main reasons why sky is better than cable are...

(1) Sky is a LOT better system in terms of ease of use, reliability and quality.

(2) If you are going to subscribe to 2 or more premium channels, there are many benefits of getting sky+, such as being able to record programmes to the hard disc for later viewing, recording up to 2 channels at once, pausing/rewinding live TV, etc. No cable operator has an integrated hard disc drive recorder at present.

7. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if you don't need sky+, the benefits of (1) above means that if you can get sky go for it, as it is the best option.

:)

8. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Get neither. Spend the money on beer instead.

But if you really have to, Sky+ is the way to go.

9. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had a telewest box in one room and Sky in the other, so was able to get a good comparison. IMO the software (EPG) on telewest was awful. Very drab and much more difficult to use than Sky. I didn't think the pic was as good either, but that may have been down to the TV. Anyway, as soon as I got SKY+ multiroom I lost no time in dumping the telewest box. Just use them for phone and broadband now (which is excellent).