'Sky+' or 'Sky'.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bigbaddonkey, Feb 18, 2003.

1. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm not sure wether to go for normal Sky digital or Sky+.
    I just wondered if any of you Sky+ users who originally used standard sky digital noticed any picture quality differences?
    Are there any advantages\disadvantages for either option, except of course the price?
    Thanks, Donkey.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Get standard SKY installed first (£1 online) and that get's you a free digibox and cheap installation assuming you have the SKYworld package which you can downgrade after the first month. Then when/if you are happy with SKY order SKY+ and have the first box relocated in another room either with a FTV smartcard or SKY's mirror subscription.

Not noticed any obvious picture differences between my Pace 2200 and Pace SKY+.

3. DAUpton

DAUpton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not noticed any difference in picture quality between the 2.

The difference is recorded material. The ability to watch one channel on the digibox whilst recording another channel, Pausing live TV etc.. which you cannot do with a normal digibox & VCR.

4. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys. Regarding the recording, is it very versatile? .. as in can I record just clips of certain programs \ just press record in the middle of a program, then stop like on a video? or is it done more on a program basis, if you know hat I mean.
    Thanks, Donkey.

5. DAUpton

DAUpton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, lots of info there.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hijack, this, but I'm also unsure whether it's worth paying for Sky + or not. Apart from the obvious benefit of being able to record something on a satellite channel, while watching another satellite channel what else does it do that a DVD recorder with a big hard drive can't? I'm not really bothered about being able to pause live tv but I would like to be able to record various programmes onto a hard disk drive without having to waste loads of video tapes. So I'm thinking of just getting normal Sky digital and buying a DVD recorder when they go down in price a bit.

8. DAUpton

DAUpton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is some information taken from Sky site.

"Why should I get it?

Sky+ gives you so much more flexibility over how and when you watch TV. Just look at what you can do...

Record one satellite channel while watching another.
    Don't miss the football when there's a great movie on too!

Record without videotape.
    No timers, no tapes. Sky+ records an average of 20 hours on its internal hard drive.

Pause live TV.
    Perfect if the phone goes. Just pause whatever you're watching while you have a chat. You can even fast forward to catch up with live TV.

Easily record an entire series.

Why miss your favourite show? Just use the Series Link feature to automatically record every episode from a selection of popular series'. And it's clever enough not to record the repeats or omnibus!

Get the full home cinema experience.

Connect Sky+ to a compatible home cinema system and watch selected wide screen movies in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Then get your friends round to enjoy the experience.

Instant rewind

Sky+ allows you to rewind the programme you are watching - so if you come in half way through Eastenders, you will be able to rewind and watch it from the start without missing the first bit. What's more, those watching live sport will be able to instantly replay that dubious referee decisions or fantastic goals! "

The best thing to do is to write down the Pros & Cons of both options including cost and decide which is best for you.

I decided on Sky+ mainly because I watch all TV through the digibox, it's easy for the wife to record (You just go to the EPG decide which programme and press one button to record) & I have a Dolby Digital Amp which gives me Dolby Digital sound on certain Widescreen movies.