Sky + or Sky+ HD

suky321

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi,

I was thinking of joining sky with their phone, broadband and TV package, in regards to the TV package I was going to choose childrens package for my son, however, I have a choice of choosing a Sky + Box or Sky + HD box, with an option of adding the HD pack for an extra £10 which will give me 2 HD childrens channels - which doesn't seem to be a good deal.

So my question was,

1)If I choose a Sky+ box instead of a Sky+ HD box, will I still be able to receive and view the free to air HD channels?

2) Is the sky+ HD box better for receiving HD channels, what is the difference? I am inclined to go for the sky+ HD box for "future proofness".

3) I've read other forums which say that Sky no longer provide the Sky+ boxes, and Sky+ HD is as standard on all installs, so why are Sky trying to charge the extra for the HD box if that is the case.

Sky haven't installed Sky+ boxes for over a year now - all boxes are Sky+ HD boxes. Only the Sky HD box can get HD channels - both free ones and subscription ones.

Sky aren't offering you a choice of boxes - they are offering you a choice of packages (basically with the HD Pack, or without). The box will be the same whichever package you go for - unless you opt for the higher capacity 1 Tb box, which gives you a bigger hard drive for recording more stuff on than the standard box, and which costs about £150 more than the standard box.

No, ten quid a month is not worth it for two childrens' HD channels plus a handful other general HD channels (ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, ITV4 HD, E4 HD) which require the HD Pack to get them. Without the HD Pack you'll still get the free HD channels - ITV1 HD, BBC HD, BBC1 HD, C4 HD and Five HD.

If you go for the Variety and childrens pack, you do have a lot more HD content and channel choice.

Many thanks for the quick response Broadz. :)

I will go for the Childrens Pack, with a Sky+ box (which will be a HD box on install). There are other incentives like a bigger M&S voucher if I went for HD, and no £30 set up fees etc, bringing the cost of HD to lower for the year, but I will stick with the non HD pack.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Toasty, I had a look at the variety, and it is worth it for the extra £1 per month, and the HD pack with the additional channels.

I have a choice of choosing a Sky + Box or Sky + HD box
If I choose a Sky+ box instead of a Sky+ HD box, will I still be able to receive and view the free to air HD channels?
2) Is the sky+ HD box better for receiving HD channels, what is the difference?
why are Sky trying to charge the extra for the HD box if that is the case.
You have been given a lot of false information, and it would be helpful to others if you would let us know where it came from.
There are no Sky+ receivers now, only HD ones.
Even if there were a Sky+ receiver, without HD, it couldn't receive any HD channels!
The HD receiver is not only better for receiving HD, it is the only way of doing that.
Sky do not charge extra for the HD receiver, they charge nothing for it - or for installing it.
It would be a good idea to check with Sky's web site before deciding on what to take: Sky Installation and Packages.

You have been given a lot of false information, and it would be helpful to others if you would let us know where it came from.
There are no Sky+ receivers now, only HD ones.
Even if there were a Sky+ receiver, without HD, it couldn't receive any HD channels!
The HD receiver is not only better for receiving HD, it is the only way of doing that.
Sky do not charge extra for the HD receiver, they charge nothing for it - or for installing it.
It would be a good idea to check with Sky's web site before deciding on what to take: Sky Installation and Packages.

Hi

I was incorrect on the point about charging extra for the HD receiver, it is the HD pack not the receiver that is the extra cost. They do charge to install the standard non HD box - £30, and £49 setup, unless you buy other services and choose the HD box with a HD package. I spoke with a Sky Advisor person on Chat on the Sky website, and they said if you choose a Sky+ box you will receive a Sky + box not a Sky + HD box, which contradicts what's said on here, so is the Sky Advisor misinformed?

From the Sky Website
Sky+ box
• Pause and rewind live TV
• One touch recording & Series Link
• Up to 185 hours of SD storage
• Ready for Sky Anytime+~

£30 setup fee (unless you take the HD pack, and £49 up front charge (unless you subscribe to their broadband package)

Sky+HD box
• Access up to 50+ HD channels**
• All the functionality of Sky+
• Up to 60 hours of HD storage
• Ready for Sky 3D & Sky Anytime+~

Free, and no £30 set up cost,

So if I go for the HD pack, I pay 10.25 per month for 12 months, I don't have to pay the £30 set up fee, and receive a £50 M&S voucher instead of the £25 one, so am in effect saving £55 per year (£30 setup waived, and £25 extra M&S). So the HD pack will cost 10.25 x 12 = 123 123 - 55 saving = £68 per year = £5.67 per month.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the Sky Advisor misinformed?
He's not informed at all, but he's wrong. The Sky+ receiver IS the HD receiver.
The small print confirms what you say about the charges. I'd call them and try to get a better deal!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom