1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ or Sky+160?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Member 55145, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Im planning on getting this thing called sky+ dunno if you've heard of it? but i'd like to know is it worth getting the 160 option?

il be fitting a 200+ HDD in it anyway so size doesnt matter :suicide:

Would just like to know from users that have used both whats difference?

im looking at mainly functionality, I heard rumours of being able to put mp3's on it for playback (Which id like) and backing up your programs to your PC via USB (Which id also like)

Pros and Cons please, cost is an issue but if it gives me better functionality/reliability then il go for the 160, unless you think i should wait for Sky+HiDef?

Ta muchly

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Sky+ 160 box is "buggy" - there are problems with the sound, and other issues. If you're getting it just for the USB functionality, you could be wasting your money, because the USB doesn't actually do anything, and may never do anything. If it's ever used, it will be for add-ons that Sky want to sell you, like keyboards. It's unlikely that you will ever be able to transfer to PC with the USB, because the information on the HDD is encrypted and pretty useless outside the Sky box.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    have you used both systems?

is the normal Sky+ box limited to 137GB capacity or will it use a full 250G drive?

if its buggy, whats the change in the software?

i've tried searching for a comparison but its impossible to find

cheers for the input

4. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere that Sky plan to have an option to download recorded programs, via the USB, to a portable device, such as a PDA.

Cheers

5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    hmm i think i'l go for the standard + V2 box, didnt realise the 160 was £299 :eek: £199 ok expensive, but £299.... umm no, esspecially with HD boxes round the corner.

I take it I will be able to use the full 200GB in a pace V2 box? I know sky wont let you specify what box you want, but its a simple case of the engineer aint installing **** if i dont get what i want, nuff said

6. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I think you can use up to about 250GB in the latest SKY+ boxes so really not worth paying the extra for the 160 variant, except of course that your warranty is invalidated if you open up the box and put in your own HDD in the 'normal' box.

Although they don't let you specify the box and can't guarantee which one you'll get if you make a point of expressing a preference when you order they will try to get that one to you. I have had SKY three different times in the past, always got the one I wanted.

ALI

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you search this forum, you will find plenty of references to sound problems with the Sky+ 160 box. There have also been several complaints of missed recordings and general unreliability.

8. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just buy 1 of flea bay and upgrade the box ur self

9. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    nick i have seen the problems you mentioned, but i thought the bugs had been fixed? tho i thought the missed program bugs applied to all sky+ boxes.

im not belittling your statement, I was just after first hand experiance.

If sky want me under a 12month contract(An expensive/extorsionate one i might add) and 89 quid for a box (Plus the fact i've had to have a landline put in just for this) then they can give me the box i want

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky+ and Sky+ 160 do not use the same firmware. The sound bugs on the 160 box have not been fixed, and Sky cannot even give a date when they will be. It's all in the previous posts - just do a search in this forum for 160 sound - you'll pull up loads. In fact, just scroll down the listings and read "Do Pace make a Sky+ 160 box ?" thread.

11. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    hmm well i wasnt really after bugs, more of benefits (foregoing the bugs)

so there isnt really any benefits other than a bigger hard drive, and two redundant USB ports?

on the V2 box i can record two programs and watch one prerecorded at the same time? and set up links to record all programs.

just out of curiosity, how does the link system work?
    does it only link programs on the same channel?
    or if i say wanted the simpsons recording will it automatically record the ones on sky and ch4? as its done by the broadcasters I guess not?

tho would it work for say ch4 and E4? to get say hollyoaks on ch4 then pull the other off E4 automatically?

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Nothing else at present. No-one can say for certain what use the USB ports will be put to in the future, if anything.

Yes. All programmes that have the series link option can be recorded.

The series links are set up by the individual broadcasters. It's not really an automatic function. The box isn't really that clever. Theoretically, it probably would be possible to series link across channels, but I don't know any channel that does it.

13. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    :thumbsup: cheers

i think i preffer the looks of the V2 anyway, may aswell throw 89 quid at it, hell il have to throw £400 at it in a years time for hd :rolleyes: