Sky or NTL???

Y15HAL

Have purchased a new Samsung LCD TV. Am happy with the quality with dvds, but when watching sky, the picture is pixelated. The tv has a built in freeview which is very clear compared to the sky. If i was to change from Sky to NTL, would there be a difference in quality? I have an amstrad box which is around 3-4years old and only has a scart connection. The scart cable i am using is decent quality and was recommended by many people off the forum. Any help would be much appreciated.

A

alternate

It depends from case to case, channel to channel - but generally Cable uses the same or lower bit rates than Sky.

Freeview has similar bit rates but this is not the first time I have heard this complaint, seems LCD/Plasma sets do not do so good with standard sky.

ChrisHGT

Standard Member
When i bought my first Plasma I had NTL and had to get rid of it due to blocky pictures and low quality pictures . SKY is much better ( IMO) although still can suffer from these faults on lower bit rate channels but is still much better than NT HELL overall.

Y15HAL

Thanks for your replies. Is sky plus any better than normal sky? Please bare in mind i do not really need the extra features of rewinding programmes, recording etc.

Accylad

Distinguished Member
Sky Plus is no better than Sky but in my opinion they both have a far better picture quality than NTL

Starburst

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies. Is sky plus any better than normal sky? Please bare in mind i do not really need the extra features of rewinding programmes, recording etc.

In term of picture quality?
There should be no differene but obviously with manufacturers using different components there could be some. The DVR aspect of the SKY+ is a no-brainer though, once you start using those you won't want to go back to VHS or DVDr, same applies for the TVDrive or Freeview DVR.

The main Freeview channels tend to look better as they are broadcast at a slightly higher bitrate and sometimes a higher resolution on DTT compared to Dsat, why the BBC/ITV and CH4 do this is beyond me and having an internal DTT tuner in the LCD removes the need for a cable connection which also means less of a quality loss between the STB and TV.